Monday, April 14, 2008

Bloody Blood Work! (That's My Inner Brit Coming Out)

Sorry for the delay in the post today. For some reason, the lab wasn’t able to read Mike’s blood sample from earlier, so they had to come in and draw some more blood. Exciting stuff there. For some reason they’ve been having trouble getting blood from Mike’s PICC line (essentially a long-term I.V.), so they have to draw his blood the old fashioned way. Ouchy!

I just got the results from the second lab, and Mike’s platelet count has dropped to 44,000. Crud. Before we had the official count, I talked with the doctor, and he was going to wait until tomorrow to start the Avastin since we didn’t have any reports on the blood work yet. Mike’s hemoglobin also dipped a bit over the weekend, so he may end up getting some blood this afternoon to help with that. I know several of you have offered to donate platelets to help, but the doctor said giving Mike platelets is sort of like putting a Band Aid on the problem. Platelets don’t last very long—your body is constantly regenerating them, which is why a person can donate platelets every couple of days. Mike’s body needs to start generating them on its own, so he’ll have a constant flow. If he were given platelets, they would be gone in a few days, and wouldn’t really help him regenerate any more. Avastin itself doesn’t actually hurt the platelet count, but it sometimes can cause bleeding. If Mike takes the Avastin and begins bleeding, he needs to have plenty of platelets in his system—that’s why Duke is wanting them to be 75,000 before he takes the drug.

Other than that, there’s really not anything else to report. Mike is eating the scrumptious puréed food okay—breakfast is the most time consuming of the meals—and he’s still being difficult when brushing his teeth; he swallows the toothpaste. I just don’t think toothpaste makes such a great dessert after breakfast, but I’ve never tried it, so what do I know? Swallowing fluoride just doesn’t seem like such a hot idea to me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

There seems to be only 1 speed with his medical attention. Slow. However, God will be there for you even when the medical community is not. Forever the optimist, I truly believe good things are going to happen.
Rockefeller's (San Antonio)

Anonymous said...

You are incredible and such an inspiration to Mike, your family and others.
keep the faith!
Love,
Sara

P. Miller said...

Diane,
I know you like funny kid stories, so here's one about you meeting my Cameron...
After Cam and I left you Saturday, Cam looked at me and said,"Mom,she just had a baby? She looks good. I can't believe she just had a baby." He thought we were bringing diapers to you as a baby gift and that you had just had the Savannah!

Anonymous said...

Hi Diane,
I'm Dianne Hartness' sister, and I just wanted to say that my church in Boston has been praying for Mike since Dianne told me about his brain tumor. I wish that I had some pastoral wisdom to pass on, but it sounds like you have a really strong faith and that you are a source of strength for Mike and many. Please know that we are all praying for you, your children, and for Mike. I hope also to meet you when I move back down to SC. My email address is audreymh@gmail.com. Do not hesitate to contact me about anything at all, and I will certainly keep praying and checking the blog.

Peace in Christ,
Audrey M. Hartness

Anonymous said...

We received your prayer request in our Sunday school class at First Church Of The Nazarene, Columbia, SC. I can speak for the group that many people are keeping Mike and you and your children in our prayers. I can only imagine what a difficult time you are going through but God is amazing and we just don't know when he will show his way. Remain faithful.

Anonymous said...

Diane,
I wanted to share that I have received your prayer request from at least six friends via email...the prayer warriors are busy and vigilant! I hope this gives you some sense of peace that hundreds or thousands are now in earnest prayer for Mike. Every time I receive one I am elated and grateful. I know, like you and so many others do, that prayer works and He is attentive to every one of them. Martha Roberts