Friday, April 11, 2008

E-mail Prayer Chain

Mike’s platelet count continues to be not so great and just bounces around. Yesterday it was at 59,000, but today it’s back down to 49,000. Our doctor talked with the doctors at Duke and they were pretty adamant that Mike’s platelets need to be at 75,000 before he begins the Avastin. So, while the original plan was to begin the Avastin today, we’re going to give Mike the weekend to try to build up his platelet count then go ahead with it on Monday. There is a bit of calculated risk with him going ahead and taking the Avastin, but neither our doctor here nor I see that there’s really any other option—we can’t afford to wait any longer. Mike is going to get some extra steroids this weekend to prevent his brain from swelling, so our Avastin plan can come to fruition.

Mike definitely seems to be getting weaker to me. He hasn’t spoken to me since last Friday. We certainly didn’t have any conversations before then to where we were solving all the problems of the world, but usually he could respond to questions and say at least a few words at a time. Eating seems to have gotten to be more of a chore and brushing his teeth has become more difficult over the last several days.

I’m not normally a fan of forwarded e-mails, but this has been on my heart for quite a while, so I’m asking for your help here. The combination of everything I wrote above and the finding of the new mass that has developed over the last month has led me to ask y’all to help me start on e-mail prayer chain. Obviously, I don’t have all of your e-mail addresses, so I’m asking you to copy and paste the message below and create an e-mail to send to everyone in your address book. We all know that prayer changes things—that’s the only reason Mike is still with us now, but I feel like we need as many prayers as possible and e-mail is a pretty simple way to make that happen. Results for others taking the Avastin have been great, but there is no guarantee that it will yield the same results for Mike. Fortunately, our God is greater than any tumor, and He is truly the only one who can make Mike’s tumor go away. I just think that we need to have as many people as possible asking Him for that miracle. Lots of you have asked what you can do for us over the last couple of months; well, this is it…copy, paste, and send it out!

Subject: Pray for Mike

My husband, Mike Starnes, was diagnosed with a brain tumor—glioblastoma multiforme, grade IV—in January of this year. The prognosis for this type of cancer is not good—living for two years is considered long term. Mike and I thought we would at least have a few good months to spend some time together with our daughters (ages 6 months and almost 3 years), but he unfortunately took a turn for the worse and has been hospitalized since January 28.

On February 5, I was told Mike only had a few days to live, but because of the faithful prayers of many, he is still with us. Since that time, he has been through chemotherapy and radiation which has taken a toll on his body. Those treatments did shrink his tumor, but earlier this week it was discovered that another mass has formed in his brain. Prayer has already extended his life by two months, and I’m asking for your prayers to extend it even longer. Please pray for my husband’s healing and that he will recover well enough to have some quality of life. He is scheduled to begin a new treatment next week that has been successful with many brain cancer patients, but there is no guarantee it will work for Mike. Please pray for God to use this treatment to work wonders and glorify Him.

One other request is to pass this e-mail on to as many people as possible. Your cat will not catch on fire if you don’t pass it on nor will something good necessarily happen to you in ten minutes if you send it to ten people. You may, however, just may be a part of making a miracle happen. I have been keeping a blog on my husband’s condition, and you can read about our journey thus far and continue to read to discover how your prayers are working.

http://www.thelatestonmike.blogspot.com/

Sincerely,
Diane Starnes

22 comments:

Karen K. Hall said...

Will start a prayer chain now with my church family- (First Baptist Columbia) Prayer certainly changes things!!!! We all are with you as you travel this journey!!!!

Blessings, CR and Karen

Claire Klein said...

Just wanted you to know that there will be a group of Airport High School staff members coming together to pray for you and Mike this afternoon as soon as school is over. We have also started forwarding your e-mail prayer request.

bdingler said...

Mike, you, and your family are in my thoughts and prayers daily.

Having gone through cancer and chemo myself and continuing to go through the rigors of check ups and scans every three months, I understand about platelet counts etc..

May God bless you and keep you

Bruce Dingler
Summit Parkway Middle
Ridge View High Football & Girls Softball

Kim S in SC said...

Diane, Will send this to everyone I know and we will "storm the gates of heaven" with our prayers for you and Mike. Praise HIM above who hears our prayers. Praying specifically for those platelets to multiply today!

Kim (sanders)

SCOTT said...

Three great Bible verses are:
II. Cor. 4:7-9 "We have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not of us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed." MIKE - GOD WILL NOT ABANDON HIS CHILDREN. HANG IN THERE!

Kim S in SC said...

Diane, I linked your blog to mine so others can read your story and see the prayer request.

Kim

Anonymous said...

Diane,
You and Mike are constantly in my prayers. I'm praying for a miracle!
(Your email has been forwarded!)
Love,
Sandra

Anonymous said...

I have started the prayer chain for Great Falls and Lancaster. Your family is in my prayers. May God bless you all.

Kathy Raines

ellen said...

Diane, your blog is in many more homes tonight. Prayers to heaven will abound for Mike and your family. Keep strong with Him by your side. We're all praying for you.

Ellen Conde (yes, it's me)

TPB said...

Hi Diane,

I've been reading your blog since January (we used to attend Faith and are friends with several members)and have been praying for Mike regularly. My four-year-old son Cody asks to pray for 'Mr. Starnes,' on a regular basis. I am always inspired by your faith and your ability to power through a time such as this with humor. I just sent your prayer request blog to over 90 people, so that should get some prayers up! Cody and the rest of us will continue to pray for you all regularly.

In Christ,
tiffany, kevin, cody, and zeke bennett

Marty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marty said...

i am sorry about the news and our thoughts are with you, mike and the kids. be strong and let us know if you need anything.

marty and angie

Unknown said...

Just wanted to let you know our church (Bethlehem United Methodist, Union SC) will add his name to our prayer list and also pray for Mike and your family @ our "Prayer Walk" Wed. night.
God is good ...all the time!

In Christ,

Anonymous said...

Hi Diane,

The emails have been sent. We will continue to pray for Mike, you and the girls daily. if you ever need anything at all; please email me at dougieslady@bellsouth.net. If you just need someone different to listen to you or a ear to cry in I will be there. I lost my dad in 04 and Mom went through cancer last year, so I am good at being strong for people. May God bless you and the family.

Debbie Fielding

Anonymous said...

I just started a prayer chain with prayer warriors at our church (Windsor Methodist Church, in Windsor,CA.) plus friends in other churches around the state. Be strong and know that "God is so Good" and He is with you every step of the way.
God Bless you all.
Lynn Markus
Windsor,CA

Anonymous said...

Wanted you to know I am now part of the prayer chain started in Great Falls. I have read all of your comments this afternnon and you and your family will definitely by in my prayers.

My granddaughter, Caroline Wood, is a student at RNE.

I have also sent your e-mail prayer chain to friends and family in NC, MD and GA.

Peace be with you,

Maxine

Anonymous said...

Diane,

I am the unit secretary on the floor Mike and you are on. I have been praying for you and most definitely will continue to do so. Because of HIPPA, I need your permission to let our church know. My husband is a pastor. We have been praying, but not by name. If you give me permission, I can have this letter put in the bulletin at church and passed on. I do believe in miracles and have seen them in the past. If there is ever anything I can do for you while I am at work or to bring you something when I come in, please let me know. I am there 4-10s a week. Here is my email so you can give me permission (HIPPA ya know, gotta keep my job LOL). Thanks again, and I am praying so very hard for you, Mike, your two absolutely precious girls, and for those who tend to them while you are at the hospital.

diane.croft@gmail.com
Diane Croft

Anonymous said...

Dear Diane, Just wanted to let you know that the Cross clan is praying for you,Mike and the girls. I read your blog every day and always hope for good news. There are miracles and they will happen with the power of prayer. We will be praying for Mike to be able to see and speak to you and the girls once again. Please let as know if we can do anything for you. We have moved to Charleston and will have you all on our prayer list here. Love to you all and keep the faith. Chuck and Ruth Cross.

Shannon said...

We are in prayer for you and your family. We know the road you are facing as my Father was diagnosed with a Grade IV GBM tumor on September 11, 2006.

He did the Avastin treatment at Duke University and unfortunately had a stroke last September 17, 2007, which left him bedridden and mostly incapcitated.

Our God is mightier than any disease and GBM is no exception, it is only by the grace of God that he is still with us today.

We will pray for the miraculous and ask that God give you His supernatural comfort and strenght during this most difficult time.

In Christ,

Shannon Stratford

linn said...

Diane,
I have passed on your prayer request to our friends and family. May God continue to comfort and strengthen all of you.

Your Sister in Christ,
Linn Hall (Faith PCA)

Angie said...

Father God, we pray for a miracle for Mike. Jehovah Rapha, you are bigger than this problem. Thank You for that. We ask for healing and complete recovery from this tumor. Normalize his platelet count, strengthen him, restore him. Please, Lord. Give his family your peace and help for every need. We ask in Jesus' name, amen.

Anonymous said...

My prayer for your family: Father I come to you in the name of Jesus and you have taught me that anything that has a name has to bow to the Holy Name of Jesus. So cancer I speak to you in the name of Jesus and I curse your root and tell you to leave Mike. I plead the mighty blood of Jesus over his life,the blood which is the resurrection life. The power of Jesus' blood is powerful and has brought healing. Jesus did not spill His blood in vain, the 39 stripes covers every sickness. God, hold this family in your loving arms, thank you for being their sheild, their glory and the lifter of their heads.Praise you Lord, for being their Healer, Redeemer and Freind Amen.