Friday, April 4, 2008

Same Ol' Song and Dance

I feel like a broken record here, but there isn’t really anything new to report. Mike’s platelets are up to 45,000. (They were 40,000 yesterday.) Even though “normal” is at least 150,000, the doctor said he would be happy if they get to 100,000. He’ll actually even settle for 80,000 to begin new treatment. The MRI for Monday is still on. The results from that will determine the next step as far as changing further medication. Mike’s potassium was a little low yesterday, so he was given some and is fine now. His hands are getting a little puffy again from retaining so much fluid and will get a dose of Lasix to help with that.

I hate I don’t have anything exciting for you to read, but at least there haven’t been any setbacks. Nothing new is most definitely better than something bad. With Mike being on this puréed diet, I’m beginning to feel a little bad for him because there’s not much variety in what he gets to eat. (Okay, so I really felt bad for him from the first time I saw one of those puréed plates. It’s definitely better than having a feeding tube go through the nose, though.) He told me the peas were nasty the other day, so I won’t order those anymore, and there are only so many combinations of carrots, green beans, broccoli, and corn a person can make. I’m thinking Lizard’s Thicket doesn’t offer puréed food on their menu, so I’m toying with the idea of getting some baby food for Mike. I don’t want him to be insulted, but he’s got to be tired of the same ol’ thing all the time. I know there are “things” that people have to purée food, but c’mon people, if you think I have one those, you just don’t know me very well at all. If it can’t be fixed in the microwave, stovetop, or oven, I’m certainly not going to know how to fix it. Heck, using the stove and oven is a stretch for me. Maybe I’ll just sneak some Gerber sweet potatoes on his plate and just not tell him where they came from!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Diane,
I don't know if you remember me but I used to work with you at Airport a few years ago, Sherrill Hallman. I saw your blog today, and I was reminded of how I used to feed my daughters when they were little and not on solids yet. I used a small hand size food processor to puree EVERYTHING. I'm not kidding. Whatever I fixed for supper, went in the processor to feed them. Now keep in mind, I didn't mix the different foods and process at one time. Each item had its own turn at getting swirled around. Even though "the plating" wasn't pretty, it was tasty. Just a thought. I'll continue to keep you and Mike in my prayers. (I am Sherrill Clarkson now).

Anonymous said...

I think you are hilarious and I can't wait to come visit you guys!!!!! Tell Coach I will bring him a steak from OUTBACK as soon as I get there...and if we have to figure out how to puree it, we certainly will. I am thinking about you guys everyday and I am praying for you every chance I get. See you soon!! Love you guys


Britteny Cavins