Sunday, April 13, 2008

Small Steps and Another Must-Read

First of all, I want to thank all of you for passing along the e-mail and getting the prayer chain a-goin’. I can tell that in addition to Mike, many of you have prayed for me also because yesterday was the first time in a long time (and when I say long, I mean loonnnng) that I have not felt completely exhausted. I didn’t even feel like I needed a nap yesterday! Yahoo! Mike’s platelet count dropped ever-so-slightly to 48,000 yesterday, but it is up to 51,000 today. When I came in yesterday morning, Mike had been taken off of the oxygen assistance and has remained off of it since his oxygen levels have been pretty good. Another yahoo! I know that’s got to feel so much better on his nose. Having the oxygen in can sort of make one’s nose pretty darn dry, and who wants that? Not me, that’s for sure. And I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that Mike would say he doesn’t want a dry nose either. Mike did crack a slight smile at me last night while I was talking with him, which is more reaction than I’ve gotten from him in the last week. Thanks again for all of your prayers; I’m sure they’re responsible for these small improvements. I’ve got to keep reminding myself of small steps. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, right?

So I read another book yesterday that I must recommend to you—The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch; it’s a pretty quick read. You may have already heard of it since the author was featured in last week’s Parade section of the newspaper and was on Primetime with Diane Sawyer last week. Pausch is 47 years old; he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and given three to six months to live. He was a professor at Carnegie Mellon University and was asked to give a traditional “last lecture” where professors typically talk about what matters most to them. Since Pausch has three small children (ages 6, 3, and 18 months), he decided actually to craft the lecture for them, talking about life lessons and living life to the fullest. It was videotaped so his children could see it one day and have a glimpse of who their father was. It became an Internet phenomenon and evolved into even more musings in the book. You can read more about it and view the lecture on his website at http://www.thelastlecture.com/. I definitely encourage you to check it out!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. Be prepared, I feel God is going to turn this thing around.
Philip and Family (San Antonio)

Anonymous said...

I admire your faith, strength and courage.I remember your husband from T.O. and what a great athlete he was. I know that if anybody can pull through it is him. You all are definately in our prayers.
Karen Austermuhl (Zeigler) Fairbanks, Alaska

marty said...

Hi Chris & family, I got your need for prayer from Shannon Stratford and i'll sure be in much prayer for you. My husband A J & I live in Clinton, NC. Our God Is Good and i trust His Will to be best for all. I'll be praying that He will touch you and heal this condition. Love, Marty Warren

Carolina Mama said...

I received your prayer request and I will join in and pray for your family daily.

Christy

Anonymous said...

Greetings!
I feel so compelled to write to you - I don't know you at all, but I too am a mother of a 5 month old and a three year old. My parents are Ed and Patsi Isley and they have shared your story with me and my family. As a mother I know how precious that bond with your children is and I know it is hard trying to be everywhere for everyone at this moment. Your faith is apparently enormous and we will continue to pray that you are sustained by our Savior and that sweet things will suprise you day to day. We will be praying fervently for an end to this battle. Many blessings today!
Sara and Tracy Malone
Roebuck, SC