Monday, April 28, 2008

Chick-fil-A...Ice Cold Water!

Not all students at a high school know who the athletic director is or what he does. Heck, some of those not involved in sports don’t even know such a person exists. Most students at Richland Northeast High School didn’t know Mike as the athletic director; they knew him as “The Chick-fil-A Man.” Mike earned this title by selling Chick-fil-A sandwiches in the courtyard every day, chanting “Chick-fil-A…Ice Cold Water!” There was a rhythm to it. A chant. The kind of thing that really got on the students’ nerves. (Though the word on the street is they miss it now and tell the others who have been selling the sandwiches since January that they don’t do it right.) In fact, I think Ringling Brothers was waiting on Mike’s retirement in a few years, so they could recruit him to pawn off cotton candy and fresh, fluffy popcorn.

The faculty at Richland Northeast is planning to create a memorial for Mike to be placed near the courtyard where he became famous. (Or is that infamous?) Though nothing is carved in stone yet (still waiting on those price quotes!), they’re hoping to have a three-foot cavalier mounted on a three- or four-foot pedestal. They know this is going to be pretty pricey, so some fundraisers are in the works. Friday, May 16, is going to be Mike Starnes Night at the Chick-fil-A on Decker Boulevard. (This is just about a half mile or so from Columbia Place, formerly known as Columbia Mall.) A portion of sales from the evening will go towards the purchase of the memorial. All you have to do to help is dine at the Chick-fil-A on Decker Boulevard between the hours of 4:00pm and 8:00pm on May 16 and place your receipt in the one of the baskets at the registers. (The receipt part is very important…no receipt, no portion of the proceeds!) The staff at Chick-fil-A is planning on having all sorts of things going on that night…I believe karaoke was even mentioned! I sing about as well as Cameron Diaz in My Best Friend’s Wedding, so don’t even think I’m getting near the microphone. I’ll be happy to cheer others of you on, though! T-shirts will be available at Chick-fil-A on Mike Starnes Night. They are blue with white writing and the cost is $10. The front has a cavalier boxed in with a braid (symbolizing Mike bracelets) and the back has Mike’s famous words, “Chick-fil-A…Ice Cold Water.”

If you can’t make it to Mike Starnes Night but would like to make a donation towards the memorial, you can send a check made payable to Richland Northeast High School to the school. Donations may be sent to the following address:

Janet Bush
Richland Northeast High School
7500 Brookfield Road
Columbia, South Carolina 29223

I do have to give a shout out to the Chick-fil-A on Decker Boulevard for donating the food for Ava’s birthday party. Ava turned 3 on Friday, and she just loves Chick-fil-A, so that’s what was on the birthday menu for Little Miss Priss. (Her father did not brainwash her…I think this penchant came from the fact that her mother doesn’t cook and she has frequented the establishment often.) Chick-fil-A donated all of the food to us at no cost to our family, and Ava loved, loved, loved her birthday dinner! And being the proud mother that I am, I have to take this opportunity to share a couple of pictures from the festivities. I know, I have no shame. (And, by the way, for those of you who don't know--Ava has NEVER had a hair cut. That is all her hair has grown in three years! On the bright side, it's a breeze to fix when we're running late and I don't have to have her battle with hair dressers to sit still for a cut.)



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures of Ava and Savannah! Wish we were there for the party. Everytime we eat at Chic Fil-A, we will think of Mike. With his loud, carrying voice, I can hear him now as I think of it.
Lots of Love! Rockefeller's San Antonio

Kim S in SC said...

Precious darlings! Happy Birthday to Ava!

jc said...

Diane,
Chick Fil-A must be the Hotspot for kids...last night my nephew, Wyatt, could choose anywhere to eat for his 4 year birthday and of course he chose Chick Fil-A! My family is continuing to pray for you and your family. I will do my best to be there on May 16! God Bless...JC

Anonymous said...

Hi Diane,
We read the blog everyday waiting on something from you to see how you and the girls are doing. Please tell Ava Happy belated Birthday and glad to hear she had a great time!!! Me and Mom continue to pray for the Starne ladies everyday and hope to see you on 5/16.

Debbie & Nell

Anonymous said...

I am a teacher of freshmen, many of whom only knew Mike for his calling out at lunch(imagine voice rising with capitalized words), "Ice cold WATERRRR... chic-fil-AYY!" It is sweet to hear them saying it now, their own tribute to the man they only knew as the friendly, funny coach who sold them lunch faster than they could get it anywhere else on or off campus. No one does it better, even today. We continue to love and support your family -- Wendy Lucas, RNE

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday Ava! There are not many people that don't like Chick-fil-A. I think Joe would have it for every meal. We love you and hope to see ya on the 16th. Love, Anna Harvley

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Ava's birthday pictures. Looks like she had a great time at her Chick Fil-A party. That's where we're having lunch today with our daughter (she's grown with three children of her own, and she still loves Chick Fil-A). The memorial planned for Mike at RNE sound great. Our prayers continue for you and those precious girls.
Much love,
Genny & Ray

Anonymous said...

The kids are beautiful!! But look at there momma... :o) I would LOVE a shirt for me and Brandon, so if I send you $$, is there anyway we can get one?? We both live in Memphis, so it's going to be hard to get one. Let me know please! You guys look great!!

We miss Coach so very much...

Love you
Britteny Cavins

e-mail me and let me know if there is anyway I can get shirts for me and Brandon...Thanks!!

BritAries331@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Diane, You probably don't know me. I'm Charlie Marra, an elder at Faith Pres Church. I've seen you and Mike but have never caught up with you after church.

I just wanted to let you know that Candy and I have and will keep lifting you and your family up in prayer during this time of transition(I think you have met my wife in Sunday School Nursery).

Mike had a great love for life and a wonderful testimony. I saw you in church Sunday before I left for the picnic. Stay close to Faith Church, We love you and if you ever need anything just call me @ 513-2920. In His Love, Charlie

Laurasc28 said...

Hi, Diane!
I would love to buy a shirt too. Amy Brown still lives up there. I'm sure I can have her pick it up whenever it's convenient. Please let me know if that's possible. Also, if they have anymore fundraisers like that up there, just drop me an email. I know I can't get up there, but I will definitly send the word out to everyone I know in Columbia so they can pitch in. Take care! My best to you and the girls,
Laura Wilkinson

Laurasc28@aol.com