Sunday, April 6, 2008

Two Steps Forward, Three Steps Back

Mike’s platelets climbed to 50,000 yesterday, but they dropped a little to 49,000 today. His latest thing is to suddenly break out in a sweat but maintain a normal temperature. The doctor said he may have some sort of infection that isn’t being picked up, so Mike had a chest x-ray yesterday. The results indicated that there appears to be some sort of infection, but the doctor doesn’t seem to be too worried about it. Mike was given an antibiotic for it; that and the continued breathing treatments should help clear things up.

Mike has been pretty quiet this weekend—not much talking and a whole lot of sleeping. My idea of the Gerber sweet potatoes didn’t go over so well. I bought the “Stage 3” ones, but they still weren’t very thick. I was so excited when I gave them to Mike Friday night—I just knew that he would be glad to have something different. After I gave him a couple of bites, I asked him if they were good or nasty, and he said, “Nasty.” Arrgh! I even heated them in the microwave (my cooking specialty!) and hid the jar so he wouldn’t know where they came from. I bought some Gerber Blueberry Buckle and Mac ‘N Cheese, but I’ve been scared to try them out since the sweet potatoes went over like a lead balloon.

An MRI is still planned for Monday. Since Mike is an inpatient, there is no set time—they’ll just work him in between scheduled visits. Hopefully, I'll get some results by the end of the night, but there are no guarantees on that.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just thinking and praying for you all. Tell Mike we plan on coming out there sometime this summer so we need him to strengthen up and bring out the 'Grapeler' once again.
Love, Rockefeller's San Antonio

Anonymous said...

Diane,

I think you should give the Blueberry Buckle a try. My mother told me that was always my favorite, and I do remember asking her to buy it for me for a special treat when I was a small child. (Gee, I was so spoiled.) I even tried it again several years ago when I had a small baby and still thought it was quite tasty. Hey, I know the stuffs been around for over 40 years now. There's a reason for that! :)

As always, I am keeping you all close in my thoughts and prayers.

With Love,
A big Lucas family fan and long-time wannabe.

Anonymous said...

whoa...haven't heard about Blueberry Buckle since ny kids were little and we won't go there as to how far back that is.

thanks for the continued updates; just keep hanging in there :)

my thoughts and prayers are with you all everyday.

with my love and support,
Sara W.

Anonymous said...

Though it's not the ideal way you want to spend your anniversary, I'm sure you're happy that you're still together & able to be there. We admire you for truly honoring your vows.

Happy 7th Anniversary.

Anonymous said...

Diane,
We've been thinking about you a lot and keeping up with Mike's progress and setbacks on your blog. Thank you again for keeping everyone posted. We admire you so much for your constant faith and continuing sense of humor. Our prayers and best wishes continue for Mike's restored health and your strength and endurance. We love you guys and wish you a happy anniversary.
Ray & Genny

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you and Mike to know our spring blood drive, April 17th, will be held in Mike's honor. They will also have information about platelet donation at the drive.

Anonymous said...

Realized I forgot to leave any contact info about the blood drive.

Ginger Foley
gfoley@rnh.richland2.org