Monday, April 21, 2008

What Happened?

Thanks to all of you who came to visitation and/or Sunday’s service. I was able to talk with many of you on Sunday, but there were some names in the registry that I missed. I think Mike would have been pleased with the service and honored by those of you who came. Though he wasn’t too keen on the whole idea of the blog to begin with (“It’s a woman’s thing,” he said.), I think he ended up being glad that we had it. When he was discharged from Lexington Medical Center in January, I had to read the entire blog and all of the comments to him. (I guess I had to read it to him instead of him reading it for himself since computers weren’t really his thing…if you’ve every seen him type, you’d know this quite well!) He nodded his head and had tears in his eyes—okay, maybe not tears, but they were glassy—when I read many of the comments.

I know many of you are curious as to how things unfolded on that last day. And since this blog isn’t just for you—it’s for Ava and Savannah as well—I want to share what happened. Last Wednesday while Mike was in ICU, his cousin Roz was visiting and we discussed the whole idea of not having the doctors go to any heroic efforts should Mike’s health start to go further south. It just didn’t seem to be the right thing to do given all of the issues Mike was having. Sure, he could live on life support for 20 years, but Mike wouldn’t have wanted that, and it’s not as if it’s painless to have to go through those extremes. He wasn’t exactly one who liked to stay in one spot for any length of time, so I know he was already going nuts having to sit in that hospital room for two and half months. That’s exactly why he loved to take cruises for travel, because he didn’t have to stay in one place for more than a couple of days. Heck, when he planned our trip to Europe back in 2002, we visited eight countries in 22 days.

Anyway, there really wasn’t much eventful that happened on that Wednesday other than they found two blood clots in his legs and put filters in to keep them from going to his lungs. I stayed at the hospital until 10:00, when ICU closed. Around 1:00 that morning, the nurse called me and said that Mike’s heart rate had been dropping and in her twenty plus years of experience that meant that she would have to soon “code” him. In other words, she would have to go to extreme measures to keep him alive. I brushed my teeth, threw on some clothes, and headed to the hospital. I called Mike’s other cousin, Regina, to make sure she was on the same page as Roz and I about not doing anything heroic. Regina and Roz were next in line on Mike’s health power of attorney, so if I got killed on the way to the hospital, then they needed to know what was going on and make the right decision. I arrived at the hospital about 1:20, and Regina got there shortly after that. Mike’s heart rate was all over the place. It would go from the 40’s then up to the 50’s and 60’s and jump to the 80’s then drop again…all in a matter of seconds. It did that for quite a while. I informed the nurse of our decision of not to go to any extreme measures. She telephoned the on-call doctor, so that I could tell her. The nurse handed me the phone, and the doctor said, “So we’re not going to DNR?” I responded with, “I don’t have my medical degree yet, but I’m assuming you mean do not resuscitate, and that would be correct.” The doctor then said something about having a second nurse confirm, and I told her I was the wife and handed the phone back to the nurse on duty.

It was rather amazing how much nicer the staff was around there when then knew this was the beginning of the end. I had been none too happy with the ICU staff since Mike arrived there Tuesday afternoon. Those are completely different stories that I could probably do another few posts on—and he was only there a couple of days. They brought a tray of snacks and drinks and it suddenly didn’t matter how many people were in the room. Mike’s aunt and uncle arrived around 3:00, and Mike’s heart rate began to stabilize in the 50’s. I was exhausted and pulled up a chair next to Mike’s bed and slept (if that’s what you can call it) beside him, holding his hand. Just as I was getting to sleep, they came in and did a chest x-ray on Mike. I’m assuming that had already been ordered as a follow-up to check on the blood clot they found in his lung on Tuesday. After the x-ray, I got back in my makeshift bed and slept for a few hours.

The pulmonary doctor came by around 7:00, and Mike’s heart rate had been staying steady in the 50’s. He said all of the swelling in Mike’s brain was adding pressure and that could cause problems with enough blood flow in his brain because there’s only so much room in the skull. No blood flow would mean more brain damage. Our oncologist came by around 8:30. He said since Mike had stabilized and we weren’t going to go to any heroic efforts should something happen (which he thought was the right choice and would do the same for him family members—we had had that discussion the day before), he was going to have Mike moved out of ICU to either a step-down unit or the pulmonary floor, so we wouldn’t have to deal with all of the visiting regulations. I asked him if he thought it was safe for me to leave for a while to go home and do something to myself so I could be a little more presentable. He thought that would be fine. Mike’s aunt, uncle, and cousin were there, so I felt okay with leaving for a bit and they could fill me in on anything that happened.

I came home and washed my hair and took a bath. (I’m not a shower person, okay?) After drying my hair, the phone rang, and it was the nurse. She said Mike’s heart rate was now skyrocketing and his oxygen rate was dropping despite being on the BIPAP machine--she thought it was just nature taking its course, and she needed to know if I still wanted her to not “code” him, even though I wasn’t there. I told her not to do so, and I would be up there shortly. There was the chance that Mike could have been gone by the time I got the hospital (and I confess that I did run a red light, but it wasn’t a real red light, and there was not traffic coming), but I thought it would be selfish of me to have him go through all of those extremes just for me to see him again. We had already decided it would be best for him not to go through that, so changing my mind would have been what was best for me, not him. Fortunately, I arrived back at the hospital before anything happened. Mike’s heart rate was indeed up and his oxygen was dropping. Both would jump around. They would seem like they were okay, then they’d change. Knowing my husband was in his final moments, the nurse thought it would be a fine time to call me away from him to tell me that she didn’t get any reflexes from him this morning and his eyes didn’t change when she flashed the light in them. She was going to tell me more, but I was watching Mike’s oxygen level drop even more, so I just walked away from her and back to Mike. I’m guessing the only reason she didn’t say anything while I was at his side was because his aunt, uncle, and cousin were there and it might somehow violate those lovely HIPAA laws. Anyway, his change in oxygen and heart rate continued for a while and the nurse asked if we wanted to take him off the BIPAP machine. I said yes because I thought that might be a little more comfortable since the end was inevitable anyway. I think I got about an hour or so with him before he drew his last breath.

Last night was the first night I had Ava with me since there was so much to take care of the last few days. She had not been told about her daddy. I didn’t want to tell her last night before she went to bed, so I talked with her about it this morning—I broke one of those cardinal parenting rules and let her sleep in my bed. Telling her was definitely one of the most difficult things I’ve done since all of this started back in January. How does one explain such a thing to a child who really has no concept of death but does know she doesn’t see her father? Saying nothing wasn’t an option because I don’t want her to think Mike just up and left us. I told her that sometimes when people are really sick and in the hospital for a long time like Daddy was, they can’t get better. Ava put her hand over my mouth and held her head down. I knew she wanted me to stop talking, but I had to tell her. I told her that Daddy died because he couldn’t get better. That meant that he couldn’t walk or talk or do things anymore. I told her that you know how some things have batteries and the batteries make them work? (She’s very familiar with the battery concept—when the garage door wouldn’t close, she told me it needed new batteries.) We have a battery inside of us that’s called a spirit, but it can’t be replaced. When the spirit stops working, it goes to stay with God, so He can take care of it. I told her anytime she wanted to tell Daddy something, she can just ask God to tell him for her. When we said our prayers tonight, we asked God to please tell Daddy we said hello and that we love him.

34 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diane,

You are an amazing woman. I just wanted you to know that.

Liz

marty said...

I once posted that Mike was Blessed to have you and the girls..He is even more Blessed to have you now to raise his girls. Even now you are thinking most of them and their needs. God Bless you for being such a loving person to others. I know you are a strong person but remember ..your strength comes from God and He loves you and the girls more than anyone. You will be in my prayers for a long time. You are truly an amazing Christian and many people are watching over you and love you. Trust Jesus always. Love, Marty in North carolina

Anonymous said...

I lost my father when I was 5 yrs. old and my brother was 8 months old. Amazingly, I remember the night that my mother had to tell me the news. Reading your post, brought back that tragic night so vividly. From the child's perspective, never keep telling your children about their father (which I know won't be a problem for you). Truthfully, children understand more than what most adults admit. I pray you three find peace and comfort.
With Love & Prayers,
Joshua
Anderson, SC

Anonymous said...

God Bless you, Dianne - and Mike and Savannah and Ava. If you are not already doing so, I would encourage you to keep a personal journal too, for yourself. It helps.
Susan

Anonymous said...

These past few days have been the hardest of my life. Mike was the biggest personal loss that I've ever experienced. However, the funeral was beautiful and heartfelt. I was inspired by the turnout of ex-football players, collegues, family and friends.
I love Mike and your entire family. He was the truly the best person I have ever known and I feel blessed to have known him.
God Bless Philo and family

Anonymous said...

Diane,
I feel like we all became a little closer going through this with you. You are an amazing person. The strength and love you showed during Mike's illness is something I will never forget. You and your girls will always be a part of our family and we love you all very much. We are here for you for anything. All you have to do is call us. Thanks for being such a wonderful wife to Mike. God blessed his life richly when he brought the two of you together. He gave him additional blessings when he gave you both the girls.

We will always be here for you. You and the girls are in our prayers.
Love,
Regina, Brett, and Micheal

Claire Klein said...

Having just read your latest post on the blog, I am beside myself with both grief and admiration. I don't know if my heart will ever stop grieving for you and the girls, but at the same time my heart rejoices for Mike. Thank you for sharing all of those details of Mike's last hours. Thank you for writing about how you told Ava. Your words were perfect. And because this blog is for Ava and Savannah to read one day, I love you both so very much. I am here for you whenever you need me. Diane, the same goes for you.

Anonymous said...

Diane,

You will never know how your blog has touched me in so many ways. You are a testimony and it is my prayer that God will continue to lift you and the girls up during this difficult time. As I said in the beginning, I certainly will help you out anyway I can with keeping the girls.

Love,
Lori Jacobs

Anonymous said...

You are an amazing Woman, Mother, Wife and Angel!! I do not know you personally, but I am inspired by your strength! God Bless you! And your loved ones.

ARW

Unknown said...

Diane,

I am a stranger to you. Please accept my heart-felt condolences. I heard of your story on WLTX and felt compelled to follow up daily. Your words are eloquent in each and every post. How did you manage to maintain your sense of humor?! I am inspired by the strength you have shown through this difficult time. I continue to pray for you and your children.
Cyndi K.

Anonymous said...

Diane,
We have only met a couple of times, when we visited Mike in the hospital. Yet, looking at this blog everyday somehow we feel that we have known you and the girls forever. Diane, you are an amaxing lady and we admire you. Just know that you, Ava and Savannah now have your own personal Guardian Angel looking over you. Girls, if you ever read this please know that your daddy loved you, he would talk about his girls quite often.
Debbie & Nell

Anonymous said...

D- I have checked back frequently to see if there were any additional posts from you. I was so happy to see you updated the blog! Thank you for sharing all of your experiences with us. I think this is a great way for everyone to be together and to be with you,to feel part of what you are going through, even if it is through the computer!
Your girls are very lucky ladies to have you as a Mother. I know they will grow up to be very strong women. You and Mike have made the world a better place!~This blog surely shows that from all the friends and family who have posted. You are an awesome person!

Renee Kozlowski

Anonymous said...

You have tremendous faith and strength. I admire you, and you handled things perfectly with the girls and Mike. I am still praying for all of you.
Anna Reeves
(wife of Jay- brain cancer survivor
Grade 3 Anaplastic Astrocytoma)

Anonymous said...

Miss Lucas,
I can never stop calling you that!!! I am so touched by everything you have written...but I would not expect any less from you. I will continue to pray for you and the girls to have strength and courage. You know Coach is in heaven smiling down on you right now...He will be missed more than words will ever be able to describe. Stay strong...love you guys..

What is your e-mail address?? Send it to me through mine...bcavins@cellularsouth.com



Britteny Cavins

Anonymous said...

Diane, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I was so happy to get up and see that you had written about your last hours with Mike. I know it was difficult to relive the moments before his death but I also know that it helps to talk about those moments. I also was with my mom when she died and even though it was hard I was so glad I got to share in her last days on this earth. I must tell you that I did feel the presence of her angels taking herspirit away which I will never forget. It was a beautiful experience that gave me peace at such a sad moment. I hope you and the girls will have peace in your lives knowing Mike is in a better place. Love Ruth Cross

Anonymous said...

My sister's mother-in-law told my young nephews when grandpa passed away. She said, 'When you look up in sky and see the stars, you'll know grandpa is doing his new jobs. He's in charge of hanging out the stars at night". My nephews are now in their 30's and still remember how grandpa did his job perfectly.

Anonymous said...

The Song Of Memory

When someone we love passes on beyond life in the world that we know and is gone,
A beautiful sense of their presence, like music remembered by heart, lingers on.
When someone we love finds a wonderful home in a world only faith can reveal.
Our memories can be like a song in the heart with the power to comfort and heal.

In quiet moments, may you feel the presence of your loved one, Mike and the healing power of memory.

Diane, God Bless You, Ava and Savannah. Words truly cannot express how I feel but always know you all will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say thanks to you and to Mike. I teach at RNE and had the privledge of working with your husband for the past three years. You are so strong, and Mike was so well loved. Thank you.
Emily

marty said...

Diane, Ava & Savannah, I continue to lift you in prayer as you face these difficult days. So glad you all have so many beautiful memories of such a wonderful husband and Dad. God loves each of you so very much. You are special to Him as you were to Mike. Love from North Carolina, Marty

Anonymous said...

I do not know you personally but received the email chain and have been praying for you. I have two small children and went through nearly the same experience as you back in December, only my husband has been able to pull through. We still have a number of medical issues we are dealing with, but I can only imagine the pain you are going through. I wanted to send my condolences and let you know just by the posts I have read that I can tell what a strong woman and amazing mother you are. I often worry about telling my children about their father (as we fear his death in some instances will be inevitable) and reading what you wrote really inspired me and gave me some guidance as well. I will continue to pray for you and your family and also want to forward "the dash" on to my husband to read, as he was lucky enough to have a second chance at life.

Should you need someone to talk to that understands, please feel free to contact me at becca11ou@aol.com. Wishing you the best.
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Diane,
I am crying as I write this. But like you, I want to be honest with what I feel. Telling Ava must have been terribly hard for you. As a parent, I can only imagine. Your children are lucky to have you. They will come to know Mike through you and this Blog. Keep writing--it will help you and others find their way through this loss. Thinking of you, Mary Styslinger

Anonymous said...

Diane,
I was not able to go to the services last weekend, or I would have been there both Saturday and Sunday. (I was in Pennsylvania.) I thought about you the entire weekend. After we left SCRI state study that Thursday, the first song I heard on WMHK was "In Better Hands Now" (not sure who sings it). That was God's comfort to me because I really, really don't understand this whole thing. Down the road I think it will become more clear; right now we all will help you cope. Someone asked me the other day how I thought you were doing. I paused for a minute and responded that I thought you would be ok. You are one of the smartest, strongest women I know. I am here if you need anything. I love you.
Kim Tiedemann

Anonymous said...

Diane, we will all miss Mike and our love for him will go on forever. Please let us know if there is anything we can ever do for you, Ava and Savannah. God Bless You All.

Mike's Family In Tennessee:
Beatrice Thomas Wood (Aunt Bea)
Elizabeth Ward (Cousin)
Ashley Nachole Wood (Cousin)
Tracie Harman (Cousin)

Anonymous said...

Diane, the many tributes to Mike will always remain in my thoughts. He was loved and cherished by all of his friends and family. Please let me know if I can ever do anything for you, Ava & Savannah. Take care and God Bless you all.

David Myer (Bea Wood's Companion)
In Knoxville, Tennessee

Anonymous said...

Sending sympathy to you Diane, Ava and Savannah. We will all miss Mike and will keep him in our hearts always.

Carolyn Atkinson (cousin) & Family

Anonymous said...

Diane, I'll miss Mike and I send my sympathy to you, Ava & Savannah.
Mike was loved by many people. Take care & God Bless you and all of Mike's family also.

Billy Wood (cousin)

Anonymous said...

Diane, I will always cherish the time that Mike, Ava, Savannah and I spent together his last Christmas. Wish you could have been there with us. I will miss Mike so very much. I love Mike and am so proud to be his "Grandma". If you all need anything please call on me at any time. Take care and God Bless you all.

Grandma Pearl E. Wood

Anonymous said...

Diane, this one is for Mike "Go Gamecocks"!! I miss and love Mike very much. If there is anything I can do for you, Ava, Savannah or your family let me know. Take care and God Bless you all.

Uncle Jerry (Martin J. Wood)

Anonymous said...

I Stand At The Door And Knock
Mike then opened the door for me.
I brought him to my Heavenly Home
Mike is very special to me you see.
There is no more pain or suffering
He's at peace and here happy to be.
Mike lived life to the fullest and all of the time so don't be sad long for you see "Mike is now mine". The journey is over and at the road's end Mike to you would say "Rejoyce for me my family and friends". God only loans each of us life and short it may be but love God to the fullest and one day God you will see.

Proverbs Ch. 3 Vs. 5 & 6

"Forever & A Day"

Anonymous said...

Motivated
Intelligent
Caring
Helpful
Earnest
Appealing
Loving

Listener
Yielder
Brave
Remarkable
Atheletic
Naturalistic
Devoted

Spiritual
Trusting
Adoring
Respectfull
Negotiable
Eager
Sociable

Anonymous said...

Dear Ms. Diane,
As I read your blog update today, I am amazed. I must also be a kid because at the ending of my prayers I tell God to say 'Hey' to the Coach and 'I love and miss him' too.
This has been one of the most difficlt weeks of my life, knowing that my brother wasn't around to see or talk to. He was just so great a friend that we all will miss so terribly.
As my heart is so sad, I know that Mike is in such a good place called Heaven. But I am glad you have your faith and the blessings from GOD for "Standing By Your Man".
In today's society, everyone wants their own ideas and motivations to get ahead. And you wanted only Mike's needs felt during this time of his sickness. There will be blessings for you in heaven from God and one day you will see your 'MAN' again, renewed and alive in spirit.
As I end this section I just want to say thanks for keeping us updated and Mike's life alive to us all. You 3 ladies are amazing and with yours and Mike's genes, those young princess will be amazing in their own right.
Those girls might one day find their prince to marry, but I know that 'The Coach' will always be their KING.
Much love to you and the girls Ms. Diane, we ( morgan and I ) will definitely keep in touch with you.
Blessings to you all, Billy and Morgan

Anonymous said...

Dear Coach Lucas,
I am sorry to hear of your loss. Coach Starnes is a wonderful man. I use the term "is", because I know that he lives on. How wonderful it is that Heavenly Father let y'all have two beautiful girls. I want you to know that your family is in my prayers.
With MUCH Love,
Blythe Branham

Barbara said...

Diane,

Mike was a very fortunate man in many ways but mostly to have you as his wife, best friend, and mother of his children. I'm so sorry, Diane.

Barbara

Anonymous said...

I was alerted to this blog by a one of your family members here in Fayetteville, NC. Her name is Jean Dew. I am a little acquainted with Jean and fate brought us together the other night, and she was sharing this story about Mike. My brother, Bob Britt, was diagnosed with glioblastoma a little more than 2 years ago. Forunately, he is still with us, after 3 brain surgeries and chemo still to this day. I thank God for His mercy on my brother. I want to let you know that I will be lifting you, Diane, and your little girls up in prayer. Our God will give you the strength to carry on. What a beautiful blog you have prepared for your girls. God Bless you all.