Monday, January 14, 2008

Doing Better, but Still Some Concern

My apologies for the delay in the update on the blog. I was waiting for the doctor to come by before updating, but the neurosurgeons around here don’t give a time frame of when they’ll be by, and the doctor today didn’t come by until almost 5:00. (It would have been nice to have known that they were going to be that late then I could have gone to my mother’s to spend some time with my girls.) I went home right after that to shower, and had to deal with a few things when I returned to the hospital.

The good news is that Mike was coherent today. Honestly, yesterday he looked like he was waiting on death’s doorstep. Thank you for all of your prayers. I’m guessing his lucidity is what resulted in him NOT having a CT scan this morning, but as seems to be norm around here, I’m not told a whole lot, so that’s just a hunch. When I came back up to the hospital Sunday night after running home, Mike wanted some of my Rush’s french fries. He was chowing them down, so my sister went back to Rush’s to get him some chicken. He ate almost all of that as well. Who knew that Rush’s had such healing power?!? Mike kept all of the food down and woke up at his normal 5:30am this morning; he was able to talk with what seemed normalcy though he had a little confusion about some things, such as where he was. Throughout the day Mike was confused about where he was, but he was able to answer most other general questions and hold conversations very well. As the evening has worn on, Mike has become a little more delusional about where he is and his surroundings. This is causing some problems in keeping him contained in his bed. He’s hooked up to quite a few things, so just hopping out of bed isn’t such a hot idea. I don’t think I’ll be getting much sleep this evening. Thank goodness Mike’s friend Phillip (who has driven here all the way from San Antonio) is staying the night at the hospital with me. He’s definitely been a tremendous help in talking with Mike tonight, but I'm afraid he'll be suffering from sleep deprivation along with me. Hopefully, Mike will continue to get better and we won’t have to deal with these delusions tomorrow.

No word from Duke today. My guess is that they’re doing their own pathology report on the tissue sample sent to them on Friday before calling to set up anything.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diane, Please know and tell Mike we are are praying for you, him and the girls. Please tell him his old orphan buddy and buddies including my brother Charles and sister Pam are all asking about him.

Betsy Lahay Mabee

Anonymous said...

Thank God for small miracles! We all will keep praying! Mike and Diane we love you all! Morgan wants to see the blog daily. God will take care of this, he has always taken care of us. Diane be persistent with the MD s they have alot on their plate, but they are their to take care of Mike.I do have connections with alot of neurosurgeons here in the upstate and if you guys would like I will ask for them to review anything Dr. Bucci said he would help in any way. We love you all!

Bailey Harris said...

Diane, Please let Mike know that Joey Reid and Bailey Harris came by to see him Sunday. Joey Coached Mike in basketball at Thornwell and I go all the way back to Mikes days in McCormick as well as Thornwell....In our prayers, Bailey Harris

Anonymous said...

Hey Diane,
I have tried calling everyone I know to have them include Mike, you and the kids in prayer chains. I can only hope and wish for the best. Luckily Mark and the Alexander's are keeping me up to date while on the road. You are so in my prayers with the stess and lack of sleep I know you are getting.
If I can help let me know...don't hestitate to ask....love, Billy and Morgan Kirby

Emily said...

Diane, I'm keeping you in my prayers. Your strength is amazing!

Anonymous said...

Diane, in the past, I have played enough racquetball with Mike to know (as I am sure you do) that he is a fighter. I pray it serves him well. I will continue to ask my Very Good God to bring him to health very soon. Remember, Jesus TOLD us to ask, and to keep asking. I will do it...
Terry Rogers