Friday, January 11, 2008

Friday Update

Mike is still resting a lot and not very verbal; he still has some difficulty answering basic questions. The doctor came by this morning and said that the CT scan Mike had done Wednesday night showed a little bit of bleeding in the biopsy area, so that is what is causing the recovery to take a little longer. He said it will probably be early next week before he is released from the hospital.

I gave the doctor a copy of the letter Duke e-mailed me and told him all of that stuff needed to be sent today. He acted at first as if they would wait until the pathology report came back, but I told him to go ahead and FedEx a tissue sample today because they were going to do their own report on it anyway. My pushiness must be working…the nurse just came in for me to sign a release for them to fax all of the written records thus far to Duke.

Duke called me this morning. The physician’s assistant I talked with said he would call me on Monday and we would probably schedule a tentative date for us to come up there then. He said we can’t begin any treatment until two weeks after the biopsy, so I’m not sure when we’ll be heading up that way.

Because Mike needs his rest and isn’t able to talk a whole lot, it’s still a good idea to not visit him at this point. I’ll let you all know as soon as I think he can handle visitors.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diane,
I went to school with Mike at Thornwell-just saw him at the reunion. Please know that you are all in our prayers.
Susan Whiteford Lewis

Patsi Isley said...

You go girl! YOU are Mike's best advocate and sometimes pushing is just required. I'm sure you do it with a velvet glove :) we are prayin steady. love, Patsi

Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong with being pushy. Let any of us know if you need more muscle! Can't wait to see Mike. I read the link you posted, encouraging. Great job with the blog. We are all in constant prayer about this situation. See you guys soon! Let me know if you need anything.

Marlow
cmarlow@sc.rr.com
803-665-1962
803-463-9086

Unknown said...

Diane,
I sort of know you through your sister, and I taught your nephews at BMS. My husband has brain cancer, also. We go to DUKE. The team there is awesome. Continue to be persistent; you are on the right track with all that you are doing know. It's really frustrating to have to wait for the answers. I remember that all too well. I'm here for you when you want someone to talk to that knows exactly what you're going through. Your sister is going to give you our number. There are so few people to talk to that have this same kind of cancer; it is very rare. I am praying for all of you.
:)Anna T. Reeves