Thursday, January 31, 2008

Seizures

When we returned to see Mike yesterday afternoon, he was non-responsive again. The only time he was really moving any body parts was when he was having seizures, and he was having a good many of them. The doctors put him on Versed (ver-sed) last night to control the seizures and it appears to be helping thus far. The drawback to the Versed is that it’s a sedative, so he’ll sleep and we won’t know if he can do anything or not. He needs to go 24 hours with no seizures before they take him off of the medication. After that we will find out if he can respond to commands. I don’t know what the options will be if the Versed doesn’t control his seizures or if he’s still non-responsive after being off it.

On another note, I do want to say how absolutely wonderful the doctors (and entire staff) are here. It is a dramatic difference from what we experienced in Columbia. We paged the doctor yesterday to see what time he thought he would be by in the afternoon because we had to leave to change hotels, and he asked what time would be good for me. How nice is that? Even the doctor we saw on Monday when we went in for the clinical visit has been by every day to check on us and Mike, and she’s not even considered to be his main doctor at this point. While it would have been nice to get up here last week so that we would probably not be in this predicament, we are extremely blessed that Mike was scheduled to be at Duke when all of this happened. I firmly believe he has the best care available in the country here.

One other thing…I seem to be getting a more regular cell phone signal now, so if you leave me a message, I should be able to get back in touch with you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diane!
Jason and I have been keeping your family in our prayers and have thought of you often over the past few weeks. You have heard this numerous times but I will say it again. Your faith and strength, as well as God's love and guidance will help you through this life storm. I know that God is watching over your family and is touching Mike with his healing hands. Keep faith in the truth. Pleae let me know if you need anything at all. You can contact me at karanbundrick@yahoo.com.
I admire your strength!

Karan Bundrick

Anonymous said...

Diane- Hi! It's Carol (Ava's speech therapist). I got your message today and thought I would check out the blog. I know you are going through a lot right now. Everyone at my church (Dutch Fork Christian Church) is praying for you and Mike (and the girls). I really miss seeing Ava- so if your mom needs a break I would love to have her over and play with my little girl. You have my number and I am sure they would have a blast. I am just at a loss for words over this whole situation so I keep sending my thoughts to God. He is the great physician and healer and He will continue to be with you all. Keep looking up and not all around. You are a strong, strong woman, a great wife and wonderful mother and you can do this with God's magnificent help!
Carol

Anonymous said...

Hello Diane,
I have been trying to respond for awhile and finally it seems it might work. I am praying for you, Mike, and your girls. If you need something please let me know.
Kathy Vickio
749-4247
kvickio@lex2.org

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Starnes,
I just wanted to say that I pray daily for you and your family, I really hope that everything gets better, I know it will you have to keep your faith in God, and I know you do. So keep strong.

Unknown said...

Diane, your sister came by today and told us what is going on.I'm so sorry. I just keep wanting to cry. Sometimes life is so hard.

I'll just put you in God's hands and ask for the best He has for you. Hopefully, miracles for Mike and comfort & strength for you.

We miss seeing the light on our side of the house come on in the AM. I'll get the mail. Cindy has my phone#s if you need me to do something.
Nancy and Bill Flowers
and kids

Anonymous said...

Diane,
Just heard from Jimbo Whitney and am sad about Mike. He is in our prayers .A mass will be said and candles will be lit for his healing and speedy recovery.
Mike Padua
803-799-7753 H
803-920-MIKE C