Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Wait and See

Things are not going well. Mike is doing worse in intensive care today than he was last night when he was admitted. The doctors are a little perplexed as to what caused his rapid decline yesterday. Usually, there would be some sign of seizure, bleeding, etc. but none of that was present. (Typical of Mike not to follow the textbook, eh?) He has a breathing tube hooked up to him, as has been the case since he was admitted to ICU. He hasn’t stopped breathing, but his breathing was a bit shallow and the tumor’s location is in the part of the brain that tells the body to breathe; they were afraid that the tumor would cut off that signal and he would stop breathing altogether. He has an EEG to monitor seizures, but none have been recorded.

The next 24 hours are critical. The doctors have said the tumor is absolutely NOT operable, so that option is out. They are giving Mike tremendously high doses of steroids as well as other agents to treat anything that may possibly have caused his decline. The doctors are going to reassess him in the morning. If he is not responsive, we’ll have to sit down with the doctors to see if there are any other possible options.

Please keep praying…I’m certain that is what made my three hours of sleep last night feel like eight, and it’s the only thing that can help Mike now.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart absolutley aches for you and your family. I am praying hard and have passed the info on to others to be praying as well. Your strength through all of this continues to amaze me and I will continue to pray that God provides you with even more strength and courage as you face very important decisions.
Much love!
Shelley Hardin

Anonymous said...

Hey Diane,
Thanks again for the update. I have been wondering what was going on having spent all day in Spartanburg waiting on Morgan. Again my heart goes out to you and the family. I still am amazed at the stamina and courage you have and are showing. Thanks for letting Morgan and I visit ya'll on Sunday. Much love and wishes to you all, Billy and Morgan Kirby

nanette said...

I have been praying for Mike so hard that many times I have been near tears. I can only say again how amazed I am at your strength and courage. I know God is giving you extra strength to handle all the obstacles that you have faced in such a short period of time. Know that our constant prayers are there for you both. I pray for a giant miracle tonight and better news for tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Diane,
Mike will continue to be in my prayers.

John Trowbridge

Anonymous said...

Diane,

Please know that our thoughts are with you both. Prayers are all we can do to help at this time but know that we are only a call way if there is anything you need. God will give you the strenght and support needed.

Love,
Ned and Beth Lyle

Anonymous said...

Diane,
You, Mike and all of your family are in my prayers. You are all in God's hands and he will continue to give you the strength you need.
Much love
Susan Brant

Anonymous said...

Diane-I have not posted yet to your blog, but I check it every couple of days. I keep asking God why, why, why, as I'm sure you have too. I've tried to pray, but I just think of you, Mike, and the girls, and I go numb. The same verse keeps coming to mind--Romans 8:26--"the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us--" Like the verse says, I do not know what to pray. I try and I just go numb. I feel like I'm in disbelief. My heart is so filled with thoughts of you that I trust the Holy Spirit relays my feelings to God. I love you. Kim T.

Anonymous said...

Diane and Family,
I am so sorry to hear about the change in Mikes' health and we are praying for you all during this test of strength. I have faith God will have his hands on you all during this difficult time.Ava is such a blessing to us and she is doing very well at school. She enjoyed dancing today and playing with her friends. They all really have a close little bond with each other. Many blessings to you all and if there is anything I can do, please let me know.

With love and prayers,
Kim Livoti

Anonymous said...

I just want you to know that I am praying for you and your Mike and your children. I know God is with you in every step. He will provide you the strength needed.

Anonymous said...

Diane, I especially like the 6th verse of Psalm 128 for Mike, but I'm praying the entire Psalm for your whole house. Your blog really allows us to feel as if we are with you. Thank you.

Blessed is every one that feareth the LORD; that walketh in his ways.

2 For thou shalt eat the labour of thine hands: happy shalt thou be, and it shall be well with thee.

3 Thy wife shall be as a fruitful vine by the sides of thine house: thy children like olive plants round about thy table.
fruitful Gen 1:28, Gen 9:1, Gen 9:7, Lev 26:9

4 Behold, that thus shall the man be blessed that feareth the LORD.

5 The LORD shall bless thee out of Zion: and thou shalt see the good of Jerusalem all the days of thy life.

6 Yea, thou shalt see thy children's children, and peace upon Israel.

Gwyn Waters