Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Birthday Boy

Wow!!! I wasn’t expecting such an overwhelming response for the birthday wishes and stories. Thank you so much for sharing! I knew some of the tales, but I learned some new “war stories” as well. I finished reading Mike all of the posts today—there were so many I couldn’t get through them yesterday! Mike had a good birthday. The girls finally got over the “crud” and were able to come for a visit; Ava sat on the bed with Mike for quite some time. Thanks to Fran, Regina, Cindy, Harry, and my parents, Mike ended up with quite a feast for lunch and dinner. He got a break from the hospital food and was able to dine on homemade barbeque, broccoli and cheese soup, beans, steamed broccoli, and banana pudding. And of course, there was birthday cake. There was so much food, Mike’s Uncle Gene had to bring me a cooler today so we wouldn’t take up too much room in the refrigerator. (It plugs into an outlet, so I don't even have to use any ice!) They only allow items to be kept in the fridge for two days around here, and there’s no way all that food would be gone by the Thursday. I think Mike is becoming a favorite on the 8th floor—the nurses and staff brought him a beautiful arrangement of tulips for his big day!

Mike is over half way through with his radiation and chemotherapy. He has thirteen treatments left. His heart rate and blood pressure got to be pretty high today, and he ended up having an EKG to make sure everything was okay. Things didn’t look too bad, but they did give him some sort of patch to help bring them down to a more normal level. Other than that, Mike was doing pretty well today, but he didn’t seem to be doing as well after waking him for dinner. He was having some trouble eating at dinner, at times it was taking him longer than normal to chew, and he didn’t eat as much as he normally does. Having a good appetite is one of the things the doctor has been keeping an eye on. His breathing was a little shallow, so respiratory therapy came in to do a breathing treatment. I quizzed him a little later, and he didn’t know who I was. That’s one he hasn’t gotten wrong since he was out of it from his biopsy. The on-call doctor was called and Mike is getting another dose of the Mannitol tonight. I’ll talk with our regular doctor about everything in the morning.

The doctors at Duke received copies of Mike’s latest CT scan reports, but they wanted to review the film for themselves. It was Fed-Exed to them yesterday, so hopefully, we’ll have their feedback by the end of the week about the possibility of starting with the Avastin.

Here’s your comic relief for today (at my expense): This afternoon Mike had that look that people have when they’re going to vomit, so I rushed in the bathroom to grab one of the plastic pink tubs to use to prevent him from getting it all over himself. I thought I heard something fall in the toilet, but I didn’t pay too much attention to it because I was trying to get back to Mike. I moved the bed to a 90 degree angle, and it ended up Mike only had to belch. (And it was quite a belch!) A few minutes later, I went back to see what fell in the toilet, and it was my cell phone. Arrggh!!! So, if you’ve left me message since about noon on Wednesday, I haven’t gotten it. I’ll be using my old phone for the next day or two until I can get to SunCom to figure out what to do with my newer one. On the bright side, the phone would at least turn on this evening—that’s more than it was doing this afternoon. It now gives me the message to insert the SIM card. Maybe it’ll just magically work in the morning. A girl can dream, can’t she?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coach,
I am so glad you had a good birthday and were able to eat like you use too!! Another year older and you have so many more to go. I remember when I always use to tease you and Miss Lucas about getting married..I did hook u guys up ya know? Cant a girl get some credit?? haa haa.

Miss Lucas,
I cant help but call you that...a funny memory for you to smile about...remember how I use to always pull down everyones pants @ practice and we use to sing SHABULA ROLL CALL?? haa haa...or how about the phrases Meise use to say.."Confession Stand" as if we were going to pray..haa haa..when we really were just hungry.

Ohh how I miss those days and how I miss you guys. I will be home soon to come visit . I send my love, strength, and courage to you guys...give Coach a hug for me.

Love you guys
Britteny Cavins

Anonymous said...

Tell Mike that we're excited for his possibility of starting the clinical trial. Also tell Mike that 'Fat Philo' caught an interception and took it to the house tonight at our flag football game. I also recorded the first tackle of the season and yes got a penalty flag because tackling is not allowed in flag. Couldn't help it, fat guys don't stop on a dime. Let him know we continue to pray for him and love you guys. Many Blessings! Rockefeller's San Antonio
P.S. Diane we're hoping your enjoying the new book.