Friday, March 28, 2008

Feeding Tube Gone!

The feeding tube was removed yesterday, so Mike is eating real food again. Well, that’s if you want to call it real food. All of his meals are still of the puréed variety, and the liquids continue to be thickened, but it beats the heck out of having a tube up his nose and surviving off of Jevity. Jevity is the “food” they give him through the feeding tube. It looks like chocolate milk, but I have a fleeting suspicion it tastes nothing like that. I won’t even taste test my own children’s baby food, so I’m certainly not trying that stuff; it’s not as if they’d order something different if I said it was nasty.

Anyway…there probably won’t be much to write about over the weekend unless Mike creates some sort of drama. Of course, that wouldn’t be completely uncharacteristic for him. The doctor is going to keep all of the medications the same over the weekend then on Monday start making some changes. He’s going to start lowering the dose of steroids next week since Mike is on that insanely high amount. I’m not sure what other changes will be made. He’s going to hold off on giving Mike any Temodar until his blood counts get better. The normal protocol is to take the chemotherapy for five consecutive days in the month after radiation. I’m not sure if that’s every week or just once in a month’s time.

Other than that, there’s really not much to report. Please continue to pray that Mike regains his strength and that he is able to eat well. He had a little bit of difficulty with the eggs this morning, but I think that was my fault by giving him too much. I realize it comes as a shock to you all that anything could possibly be my fault.

One more thing before I finish for today…I’d like to thank whoever left the beautiful afghan in Mike’s room. Last Friday Mike’s cousin Regina stayed with Mike for a few hours so I could spend some time with the girls. While I was gone, someone came by while Regina was on the phone. As soon as Regina finished her conversation, the woman was gone, but she left a bag with a gorgeous sage green afghan. There was no note indicating whom it was from. There was just a piece of computer paper with a Bible verse (Psalm 91:11) and a message that God sends angels to keep watch over us. Thank you, angel!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Diane,
This is Sandra (pastor of Norma and Robert; Sallie and Ray) in Andrews. We continue to keep you and Mike and your family in our prayers. Thanks for sharing the updated information and we celebrate the removal of the feeding tube.
Thanks for the continued updates.
shalom,
sandra