Wednesday, March 12, 2008

An MRI is on the Brink

For the third day in a row, Mike’s platelets are low, so he will not have his chemotherapy again today. It’s actually lower today than it has been the last two days. (Today he’s at 30,000; the previous two days he was at 50,000.) Though platelets can be given to him, no plans are in the works for that right now. His white blood count is a bit low as well, so if you have the slightest cold or sickness, please do not stop by the hospital; Mike’s immune system is very low right now.

Mike had his swallow study done yesterday, and it is officially going to take forever to feed him each of his meals. (I looked up “forever” at dictionary.com and it had a picture of Mike being fed. I'm not sure how they got the advance photo.) The food still has to be puréed, and he can only have half-teaspoon bites. Each bite must be alternated with a liquid. The liquid has to be of the nectar-thick variety (which he has been having since he came off the feeding tube) and has to be given to him by spoon—he is not permitted to use a straw. I asked the speech therapist why he would have this change since he was eating so very, very well before. She said the tumor causes it as it grows. The brain tells us to swallow, and the tumor is causing his brain not to tell him that; she said it’s not uncommon. What?!? Excuse me, did you just say it’s growing??? I thought they were supposed to be shrinking the darn thing. Obviously, she doesn’t have any proof of any growth. The doctor did say that this whole swallowing thing is throwing him for a bit of a loop, though, because the CT scans didn’t show any problems, and otherwise he seems to be doing fairly well considering he has this enormous mass invading his brain. So, Mike is going to have an MRI today since it gives a more detailed picture of what’s going on (a 3D version instead of just 2D).

Yesterday I learned that the radiation department is usually closed on Good Friday, so Mike won’t have radiation that day. That means he won’t get his last treatment until Tuesday, March 25. After his 25th treatment (which will be this coming up Monday), they will redesign another plan for how they will administer the radiation. I'm hoping that means that the tumor is shrinking so they have to readjust where the beams are going in. I guess I’ll find out if it's shrinking when he has the MRI today. The radiation oncologist said Mike will lose a greater amount of hair when he begins the new round; he was actually a bit surprised that Mike hasn't lost more hair than he has already.

One other thing…when Mike finished his radiation yesterday and we were about to head back up to his room, a lady stopped me and asked if I was Mrs. Starnes. I’m not sure how she knew about Mike (is he gaining celebrity status?!), but she knew he has a tumor and wanted to talk to me about it (maybe she’s heard about all of my medical expertise). She had asked some hospital personnel about me and Mike, but they couldn’t tell her anything because of the HIPAA laws. Her son, who is in his fifties, has been diagnosed with a glioblastoma as well and she is terribly upset. In addition to Mike, please pray for the strength of this mother and for improvements in her son; his name is Ron Ridgeway.

I had another lady stop me yesterday afternoon and ask me if I was "the coach's wife." I'm telling ya, you just never know who you're going to run into...that's exactly why you've always got to have your A game on! :-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diane,

Thank you for your continued humor. I will add Ron to my prayer list. Keeping you and your entire family in my prayers.

Laurie (San Antonio)

Anonymous said...

You are so funny Diane,

I am still suffering from this darn cold and cough ... so hopefully next week I'll be able to visit.

Am still on my knees for all of you,

Much Love, Billy D. Kirby

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are there with him every day. You truly have been an angel by his side. While I'm sure the medical staff is competent, I don't think they would be nearly as on the ball without you around. I fear that his progress would not be as good without your consistent monitoring. Thanks for your daily updates and humor. Thanks for being the angel that you are to one that is loved by so many.
Rockefeller's (San Antonio)

Anonymous said...

You are a blessing to Mike and your family. Keep the faith. I love you all.

Sara W.

Anonymous said...

Diane, my name is Gaye Lamson and I am from Chesterfield, SC. Coach Starnes coached all three of my boys. I wanted to let you know Chesterfield is praying very hard for the coach,you and your precious girls. I am sorry I didn't send a birthday e-mail. We have some wonderful memories and thank the Lord Coach Starnes was put in our path. He made a difference in my boys. Thanks for your precious words and your faith.
God Bless You and Put His Arms Around You And Give You Strength.

Love you,
David & Gaye Lamson
Loren,David & Daniel Lamson

Anonymous said...

D- You are amazing! All this has really sharpened your humor! Thank you for keeping us updated on Mike and we continue to pray for you all, including the medical staff so they may have guidance from the Lord to develope a kick ass treatment plan.
Love you
Renee K.