Monday, March 10, 2008

Monday Mania!

Mike had a great day on Sunday; perhaps it was from all of the rest he was able to get on Saturday. (Or maybe it was all of the Q.T. he got from his wife.) He sat up and talked much of the day. He did get a urinary tract infection over the weekend, so his antibiotics were changed. His platelet count was also pretty low; as a result, he was not given chemotherapy today. It is not uncommon for this to occur; in fact, the doctor said it is more unusual for a person to go the entire 42 days of treatment without skipping a dose or two of Temodar. He will not “make up” the dose he missed—his last chemotherapy will be taken on his last day of radiation in two weeks.

Even though Mike’s food is now puréed, he seems to be having a little bit of a difficult time eating. He looked like he was choking at times and said he felt like he was choking as well. He is having another swallow study done on Tuesday. He’s also been having a hard time breathing after eating, so I’ve had respiratory therapy come in to do breathing treatments after his last few meals. This afternoon he began coughing a good bit and had an even harder time breathing. In addition to the breathing treatment, the respiratory therapist suctioned some mucus from his lungs a couple of times. (Hope you’re not eating as you’re reading this!) This evening Mike had an x-ray to check his lungs for infection then was given some Lasix. I was a little worried that something was seriously wrong, but I just got the report back and all is clear. Since having the Lasix, Mike hasn’t been coughing and his breathing is much better. All the evening drama is the reason for the late post tonight. Now that I know everything is okay, I can go home and get a little sleep. Hopefully, there won’t be another wreck on I-26 tomorrow like there was this morning, and I can get to the hospital in a timely fashion. Those of you who drive towards town from the Irmo/Chapin area in the mornings know my pain!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diane,
Thank you for the update. I am glad to hear Mike is doing better. I agree it's from all the Q.T. you've given him. You keep up the great work. And I will keep up the prayers. Have a peaceful night.

Laurie (San Antonio)

Anonymous said...

Good Morning my brother Mike and Ms. Diane,

I can only guess the struggle you both are having during this difficult time. We are continuing to pray for a great outcome. We are just glad that you are able to put in some humor to keep everyone upbeat too, keep it up.

Just know that I continue to be on my regiment of the early hours to pray for you all and now some other people too. The good news is... God is good.

Am constantly keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers, much love, Billy D. Kirby

nanette said...

I haven't written anything lately but we are still checking the blog daily and keeping you, Mike and the girls in our prayers. I'm sorry he is having the swallowing difficulty, I hope that will pass again, it's bad enough to be sick but to be sick and can't enjoy your favorite foods is not a great moral booster. I hope when he finishes his radiation he can get started on the new chemo. LOL, nanette