Thursday, March 13, 2008

Holy Mackerel, Batman!

Apparently working overtime isn’t in some people’s makeup because I did not get any MRI results last night. As a matter of fact, I called the hospital just before I went to sleep at 11:30, and they still weren’t in. Anyhoo, I got the results this morning and they are looking good! Just to give you a review, the measurement I first gave you all in January came from the CT scan Mike had on January 2; those measurements were 4.5 cm x 4.7 cm. An MRI, which is more accurate, was administered on January 3, and showed a measurement of 5.5cm x 4.3cm. The MRI done by Duke on February 4 (when I was subsequently told Mike only had “days” to live) showed a measurement of 5.7cm x 5.2cm with new hemorrhaging. Now for the results of yesterday’s MRI (drum roll, please)…the tumor now measures 4.8cm x 4.0 cm, and there has been no additional hemorrhaging. Yes, that does indicate that the tumor is smaller than when Mike was first admitted to the hospital in January. For those of you who prefer lists instead of numbers all jumbled up in paragraph form, here’s a recap of tests and measurements:

CT Scan (January 2): 4.5cm x 4.7cm
MRI (January 3): 5.5cm x 4.3 cm
MRI (February 4): 5.7cm x 5.2cm, additional hemorrhaging
MRI (March 12): 4.8cm x 4.0cm, no hemorrhaging

Now that the tumor is smaller than the size when Mike was actually functioning on his own every day, it seems to me that Mike is just taking full advantage of all of this pampering he’s been getting from me. I’m going to have to toughen up on him a little more. Mike’s just going to have to get off his duff here pretty soon and start doing something productive…heck, I think he could even handle selling some of those Chick-fil-A’s and ice cold waters.

Mike’s platelets are higher than yesterday (39,000), but they’re still too low to take the Temodar, so he’s going a fourth consecutive day with no chemotherapy. With the results of the latest MRI, our oncologist still doesn’t understand why Mike is having difficulty with chewing. The latest theory from speech therapy (since it’s not from the tumor growing) is that Mike is fighting the tumor, so it’s making his body weak.

The mother I told you about the other day called Duke about her son. They called her back after she left a message, and she talked with Dr. Friedman. She apprised him of what was going on with her son, Ron, and asked the doctor if he could help. Dr. Friedman told her he could and just needed for her doctor to call him. Please continue to pray for Ron and his mother and that they will be able to get to Duke soon.

I have to share one sweet story before I sign off for today. Yesterday Ava and Savannah came to visit Mike. Unfortunately, Savannah developed a runny nose right when they got to the hospital, so she couldn’t come in the room. As Ava was sitting on the bed with Mike watching cartoons, she looked over to me and said, “I love him.” I told her she needed to tell him that, so she looked up at Mike and said, “I love him.”

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

God is wonderful! No surprise Mike is fighting this thing. He's been a fighter and more importantly a winner his entire life. I'm proud to know the man and your entire family. So glad to hear the great great news. Medical miracle! Love those little girls. Wish we were there!
Philo Rockefeller and family (San Antonio)

Anonymous said...

Oh, sweet Ava!!! I haven't posted a comment in a while, but i've still been checking on ya'll...and more importantly, praying!!! I will continue to do so. I need to call you soon to ask you a few questions. Hope ya'll have a great night.
Stephanie Morrow

Anonymous said...

Dear Diane,
For the truly visual people, please add the 3-D graphical version of the MRI results. :-)

Thank you for sharing the sweet Ava story. I think she meant "I love Him."

Laurie (San Antonio)

Karen K. Hall said...

Oh...... from the mouths of babes!!!!! It's great to hear your good news- Prayers are being answered- We Baptists are praying hard!!!!

Hugs to you both!!!

Karen and CR Hall

nanette said...

What a great report. God is working miracles through Mike. His illness has brought many people together. You have been a pillar of strength plus your humor I'm sure helps Mike through each day. They always say humor is the best medicine, so you are contributing much to his progress. We will keep you in our prayers. I look forward to hearing more good news. LOL, nanette

Anonymous said...

This is so exciting! God is so good!

Kathi Wagner

Kim S in SC said...

Precious story of little Ava's love for her Daddy. I can almost hear our Great Father in Heaven saying the same thing about Mike, "I love him". Praising Him for the shrinking of that tumor. Praying for a full and complete healing for Mike. Praying for a sustaining strength for you Diane!
In HIM,
Kim Sanders