Saturday, March 1, 2008

CT Scan

When I came in this morning, Mike’s eyes seemed okay, but he was still inaccurate with answers to questions. He initially said we have twelve children (Yikes!!! How could we ever afford that? Two cost enough as it is!) When I told him we had two, he couldn’t tell me the names of our girls, but when I held up pictures of them, he could say their names. The on-call doctor was present when I was giving Mike his quiz. Since he didn’t make an A+, she went ahead and ordered another CT scan as well as two doses of the Mannitol for today. Mike had his CT scan shortly after 11:00, and the doctor brought the report to me a couple of hours later. She said that the tumor was stable, so we were just going to keep on doing what we have been. After she left, I started looking at the report in more detail, and it doesn’t look so great to me. It does state that the tumor is “largely stable” and there is no additional hemorrhaging, but the mass—including the swelling—has a “maximal transverse dimension of approximately 6.8 cm and a maximal AP dimension of approximately 5.3 cm.” I don’t know what exactly “maximal transverse” and “AP” dimensions mean; when I went to ask the doctor for clarification, she had already left. The last report just used the term “diameter.” I’m not sure just what the difference is or if there is one; I’ll ask her about it in the morning. It’s been nearly four hours since the doctor put in the order for the Mannitol, and it has yet to make it up here from pharmacy. I realize the pharmacy has to serve the entire hospital, but I don’t think I’ll ever understand why it takes so long to get medication around here. It’s a hospital, for cryin’ out loud!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the medical system is frustrating. I would tell you to be patient, but then it would be even more slow. It's a good thing that you are as assertive as you are, or he probably wouldn't be doing as well as he is. You've been an angel to him throughout this process and he's fortunate to have you. Our prayers are not only for his healing but for your peace of mind during the frustrations of things that are out of your control. Love, The Rockefeller's San Antonio

P. Miller said...

I'm thinking of you, Mike, and the girls.
The GIRLS miss you at SCRI meetings!!!

Marty said...

Diane,
Thanks for your dilligence on the daily updates. They help keep us in the loop and I know they are a way for you to get it out and talk. GIve us a call if you need anything and stay strong!

Love,
Marty & Angie