Sunday, March 16, 2008

More of the Same

I haven’t updated the blog in a couple of days because there really hasn’t been a whole lot to post. Mike was given some platelets on Friday, but his count was down again today. His white blood count continues to be low, so he is still not receiving Temodar. He hasn’t had the chemotherapy since last Sunday, but he has been continuing with radiation on weekdays. He has six radiation treatments left. Please pray for Mike’s blood levels to return to a more normal level so he can take the Temodar without any risks; it will only be given as long as he has radiation, so the window to take it ends next Tuesday.

Mike seems to be eating a little better. It only took me about 35 minutes to feed him dinner tonight. He’s still on the puréed food (I know you all are jealous), but I can now give him a few bites before giving him any liquids. I was having to give him a half spoon of food alternated with a half spoon of liquid. Eating that way was horrible; his meal would get ice cold before he could finish with it. Hopefully, he’ll continue to get better with this and be able to switch back to the mechanical soft foods before too long.

On the good news front, Mike and I won’t be going into the poor house this month. Since have given birth to two children in the last three years, I was running out of days to take at work in order to stay at the hospital with Mike. I applied to my district’s Sick Leave Bank for additional days. I was a little nervous about getting approved because the only real rule is that it has to be something catastrophic, but the four people I have known to apply in the past have been denied. On Friday I received a letter from the district letting me know I have been approved for additional leave. Yahoo!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diane,
While you don't us personally, I have met Mike when he was first admitted to Lexington Medical Center. I am the pastor where Norma and Robert Phillips are members. However, I do want you to know that I feel like we are old friends through them. Robert and Norma are very faithful about keeping us updated and thanks to Norma'a computer savvy, I have your blog under my favorites so that I may keep up with all of you. When we need to pray specifically, we do that. According to the blog posting I just read that you posted today, we have a set of specifics and we will include them, followed by, "thy will be done" because whatever God has in store, as you know is always more perfect and beyond the greatest we could imagine. Please do know that our most fervent and earnest prayers are with you all. Your children are precious (like I needed to tell you that). :) We just want you to know that a battery of prayers are lifted for all of you regularly - several times daily. Robert and Norma are dear friends of ours as they are of yours. We are blessed to have them in the fold and to be able to call them FRIENDS.

In Christ's ministry, we wish you and Mike and your family TRUE SHALOM.

shalom,
sandra

Ruth Anne said...

That's awesome!

I'm still praying!

Anonymous said...

This is a link to a web site called young adults surviving glioblastoma. Hope it helps.

www.yasg.com

Anonymous said...

Diane,
We will be traveling next week to visit Robert's mom in Arkansas. I will check the blog regularly to keep up with your news and, as always, will continue to pray.
Kathi Wagner

nanette said...

I am so glad they granted your extended leave through the bank. I was really worried about it. If anyone deserved it you did. I know that will help lift a small weight off your chest. I continue to pray and ask God to give you strength and pray for Mike's improved health. nanette