Saturday, March 8, 2008

A Must Read

Phillip and Jennifer Rockefeller sent a copy of the true story 90 Minutes in Heaven by Don Piper for Mike’s birthday. I read the entire book today, and it was fantastic! I realize I’m probably in gross violation of laws and may very well end up in Copyright Jail (where I’m certain I’ll see many of you other teachers), but I’ve written the book’s prologue below. What can I say? I’m a literacy coach and know the importance of hooking a reader from the get-go. I will be shocked if reading the excerpt below doesn’t get you interested in reading the book in its entirety. It has sold over two million copies, and after reading the whole book, I really don’t think the author would mind me sharing the prologue with you all.

I died on January 18, 1989.

Paramedics reached the scene of the accident within minutes. They found no pulse and declared me dead. They covered me with a tarp so that onlookers wouldn’t stare at me while they attended to the injuries of others. I was completely unaware of the paramedics or anyone else around me.

Immediately after I died, I went straight to heaven.

While I was in heaven, a Baptist preacher came on the accident scene. Even though he knew I was dead, he rushed to my lifeless body and prayed for me. Despite the scoffing of the Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs), he refused to stop praying.

At least ninety minutes after the EMTs pronounced me dead, God answered that man’s prayers.

I returned to earth.

This is my story.


It’s been pretty quiet around the hospital today. Mike has slept most of the day, and I got in a good bit of shut-eye myself. There really haven’t been any big changes other than we altered Mike’s meals to being puréed since he’s been having such a difficult time chewing recently. Let me know if you would like some pulverized peas and carrots, and I’ll see about having a couple of servings sent to ya. On the bright side, Mike can now have brocolli from the cafeteria. Physical therapy has been going okay—Mike sat up for about 40 minutes yesterday, and he’s holding his head up much better—but he is still a long way from getting up and moving around on his own.

Oh, and I got a new phone, so I’m back to the same number I’ve been using for the past couple of months. So if you need me, call me on that number. Because the other cell wouldn’t even turn on, they couldn’t transfer my phone book. As a result, I’ve lost some of your numbers because that’s the only place I had a record of them. Hopefully, I won’t have another faux pas with this Nokia!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad the book touched your heart as it did ours. Your awesome Mrs. Starnes and we love the faith that you've shown through your blog.
God can do anything with us, even conquer death. Love you all! Rockefellers

Karen K. Hall said...

The book is fabulous!!!! I read it last year- He has another book, Heaven Is Real. It is a great read too- Both of these really change your life after you read them.

CR and I are glad to hear things are improving daily. Oh...The power of prayer!!!!

Every day is a true gift, for us all!!! I'm sure you know that first hand !!!!

Hang in there...We are lifting you up in prayer daily!!!

Blessings, Kare Hall

Anonymous said...

hey coach its been a little while since i last posted a comment. im still praying for you and carry you in my heart all the time from the classroom to the field. heres a website you may wanna look at later www.leaguelineup.com/carolina express. you may recognize a few faces thats prayin for you as well under the photo section. get better coach. RHINO class of 98 #76

Kim S in SC said...

I've been wanting to read that book. I saw him interviewed the other morning.
Loved having Ava in Sunday school again this morning. We had a good time marching around the room and singing up a storm. I can assure you that those children sing oh so much better than I, but they let me join in just the same. :) We also talked about Jesus and how he healed his friends.
It has been so encouraging to read your posts. How amazing, that you are able to encourage so many as you walk through this illness together. Praying for you to be encouraged as you have encouraged others. Praying for Mike's continued healing. I love this verse, I hope it will encourage you as well: Phil4:6,7Praying that as you continue to present your requests to HIM, that the "peace that transcends all understanding" will be with you!
In Him,
Kim Sanders

jc said...

Diane, I have a copy of the book if anyone wants to read it...it is fabulous...You are in my thoughts and prayers!