Wednesday, March 19, 2008

A Little Better

Mike is doing a little better today. He was awake when I arrived this morning and ate just about all of his breakfast. (Despite forgoing breakfast yesterday, he did eat his lunch and dinner.) I just finished feeding him lunch, and that only took about 25 minutes—not too bad considering he had a meat, two veggies, fruit, pudding, and yogurt. I can give him about four or five bites of food between liquids, so it’s not nearly as torturous to feed him as it was for a while. He hasn't said much, but I'm getting used to that these days.

The lung x-ray showed a little something on his lower left lung. It’s probably pneumonia, but it can be treated with antibiotics and the breathing treatments he’s getting every four hours. There doesn’t seem to be much worry about that. He hasn’t been coughing much today, and the respiratory therapist said she thought his lungs sounded a little better. He’s still on the oxygen. I suspect he’ll be on that until his lungs are all clear. I think the doctor had the CT scan done yesterday to make sure Mike’s brain didn’t start hemorrhaging; the report shows that it has not, so that’s positive. Hemorrhaging would not be a good thing because Mike would not be able to take the Avastin if that occurs. I asked the doctor how long after radiation Mike would be able to begin taking the Avastin, and he said probably a week or two. The CT report mentioned having a follow up (i.e. MRI) because “Mass effect on the ventricular system appears just slightly more prominent than on the comparison of March 6, 2008, particularly the third ventricle which on today’s exam is measured at approximately 8.5mm vs 6.5mm on the prior exam.” Whatever that means. (Listen, don’t set your expectations for me too high and expect me to understand every little report. I don’t have my advanced medical degree. Yet.) The doctor said he isn’t very concerned about that, and since Mike was up and eating fine today, he’s not going to have the MRI done. He seems to get more concerned when Mike isn’t acting normal (by normal I mean recent activity normal)—he wasn’t so “normal” yesterday and the night before that, so that’s why he had the scan done.

Mike still isn’t getting the chemotherapy because his blood counts are so low. He will be given some more platelets this afternoon. This is Day 10 with no Temodar. (As a side note, I was looking over my stuff from Duke today and realized Temodar is the chemotherapy that is used in their trial along with the Avastin. I’m not sure if Mike will continue with the Temodar once he starts the Avastin here.) Mike has been making those noises again today. He started with it this morning and didn’t stop until lunch. I got a little bit of a hiatus, but he has started moaning again. I swear you’d think there is a goat in the room. When he’s doing that, I keep the door shut so other patients don’t freak out and think there are wild animals running around the 8th floor.

Now, don’t go getting all excited about what I’m writing next—though it would be easy to do so—because I told you before that measurements on CT scans aren’t as accurate as those done with an MRI. But…according to the scan done yesterday, the tumor now measures 3.4cm x 3.9cm. You can scroll down to the March 13 post to see previous measurements. Sorry, but I don’t have any pictures of the scans to post. I’m only given written reports of them. Maybe we’re lucky and that is an exact measurement of the tumor. We can pray that’s accurate, right? Hey, look what prayer has done for us thus far!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

God truly is great!

Anonymous said...

Hey Coach and Ms. Diane, Glad everything is looking better as of right now. Sorry I haven't been up in the month but I think I finally finished with this stubborn cold and cough. Should be up next Wednesday.

Still doing my praying routine for you all, Lots of love your way, Billy and Morgan

Anonymous said...

I haven't left a message in a while, I wanted to let yall know that i'm still praying for the whole family. I've been out of town for the past two weeks, but I do check the post when i can. God is awesome.

Shaun P.

Anonymous said...

I haven't talked to you in a long while Mike but God know's I've been thinking about you since Jan. Hang in there Mike, your Aunt Bobe isn't ready for you yet. She doesn't have enought chicken cooked yet!


Give em hell mike. Your cousin in Pittsburgh, DJ..

Anonymous said...

Diane and Mike,
We are keeping track of you everyday and praying diligently. God is so good - he is using you for his glory.
Kathi

Anonymous said...

Mike and Diane,
I have been following your blog since I heard of Mike's fight with this tumor, and I just wanted to let you know that I am praying for you every day! I know God hears and answers our prayers, and I pray for your continued strength and faith that He will give you what you need.
Peace, Susan