Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Brief Update

Mike seems to finally be bouncing back from the swelling he had over the weekend. Late yesterday he started talking more, and he continued with that today. He’s been having a pretty strong voice when he talks as well; the whispers are fewer and fewer. There have been plenty of smarty-pants remarks spewing from his mouth, so you know he’s definitely doing better. Of course, if he’s gets too smart with me, I threaten to not feed him his next meal, so he straightens up rather quickly. The prospect of starvation is a pretty good motivator.

We had a slight scare this morning. The blood report indicated that Mike’s platelet count dropped dramatically from two days ago. The doctor suspected it was a mistake by the path department and ordered another test today. Luckily, everything is normal. If it had been too high, the doctor was not going to give him the chemotherapy today. He has this test done every other day, so it is monitored regularly. The radiation continues to go well; he had his twelfth treatment today. Thirty more to go.

Some of you have asked about visiting Mike, and that is perfectly fine. There really is no predictor of a good time to stop by—it’s kind of a take-your-chances sort of thing. Sometimes he’s up and talking and other times he’s a sleepy head. He doesn’t have a pattern he follows, so I can’t tell you that one particular part of the day is better than another. If you do visit, be aware that he is still not back to regular Mike, but he does know who comes by and appreciates the visits.

Our oncologist sent a copy of the CT scan to Duke, but he has not talked to the doctors up there about the Avastin yet. He hopes to talk with them by early next week.

That’s about it. Sorry I don’t have anything more exciting to write, but at least there haven’t been any setbacks in the last couple of days!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Diane,
You don't know me - I'm the mom of an RNE soccer player. I wanted you to know that you all are continually in my prayers. I have been following your blog since I learned of Mike's tumor. Keep on keeping on - your faith and courage are remarkable. I'm sure that Mike is proud of you. Just remember that many are praying for you. God will give you enough strength for today, every day.

Anonymous said...

Hi Diane,

Harold B. Neel, Thornwell '84 here. It's been a while since I posted. I check in to the blog daily and just wanted you to know my family keeps you all in our prayers. Stay strong and brave!!

Love to Mike!

Harold B.

NJJean said...

Hi Diane,

Will keep thinking of you and praying, of course.

Jean S.