Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Wednesday News

We had a bit of a snafu today. The hospital suddenly blocked Blogger which meant I could not post anything new or read any of your comments. Fortunately, we’ve had an awesome nurse the last three days and she hooked me up with the tech folks, so all is well and good now. Actually, all of the nursing staff and our current doctors are great. The only problems we’ve ever had have been with the original neurosurgery practice, but we don’t have to deal with them anymore. That makes for a much happier Diane.

I didn’t post anything yesterday because there wasn’t a whole lot to write about. I can only stretch my wit so far when Mike isn’t giving me much to write about. I would hate for you all to be in search of a Cliff’s Notes version of the blog because it has become boring to read. So…if I don’t post, it’s just because there haven’t been any big changes. I will make sure I write a new post at least every other day or if anything major happens—good or bad. With all that being said (or written, actually), here’s an update on the last couple of days…

Mike slept a lot yesterday. I was beginning to think we were going to have a Rip Van Wrinkle on our hands. He practically slept through his radiation treatment—he was asleep before he went down there and shortly after it was finished. He woke up for breakfast and stayed alert really well until he became exhausted with the physical therapy. He sat up for about 33 minutes (this is always with assistance, by the way), moved some limbs independently, then was worn out and went back to sleep! That’s about all that happened yesterday, hence the reason there was no post.

I think today Mike has looked the best that I’ve seen him since we left for Duke. He’s been awake and alert for most of the day, though he had a few moments where he seemed quiet and out of it. A different physical therapist worked with him today, so she did things a little differently. Rather than having him sit on the edge of the bed for an extended period of time, she tried to make him sit by himself and move a little more on his own. He did a pretty good job, but he has quite a long way to go before he’s remotely close to moving around on his own regularly. But hey, from the wisdom of today’s feature on TLC’s Ten Years Younger, “Life is like a toaster. You have to be pushed down before you can pop up!” As I was feeding Mike lunch, he developed a really strong voice and the nurse could hear him in the hall; she was quite impressed—she had not heard him talk that well yet.

The doctor did start lowering Mike’s steroids on Monday. He was on 20mg four times a day (it was six when he was first admitted to ICU at Duke), and it is now at 15mg four times daily. As long as it doesn’t appear that his brain is doing some rebound swelling from the treatment, the dose should be lowered to 10mg by the end of the week. The goal is to get him down to 4 mg every six hours.

And forgive me for a having a “proud momma” moment…Ava had a little program at her preschool last night since the music teacher became sick right after Thanksgiving and they couldn’t do it at Christmas. As she went on stage she raised her arms in the air and said, “I’m up here, Mommy!” a few times so everyone could hear. I’m including a picture of us after her stage debut! For those of you not too into children, just take it as an opportunity to see a miniature Mike in a dress!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a beautiful picture of you two. Thank you for the update. I will continue to PUSH (Pray Until Something Happens).

Laurie (San Antonio)

Anonymous said...

She is precious and I know everyone is proud of her. What a blessing! I continue to pray and love hearing the good news. I think Mike is doing great and I look forward to every update. Our thoughts are always with you and family.
Kathi

Anonymous said...

Awesome News.... We all hope for a good recovery for the Coach. Thanks for the update. Hope to be up there next week if I can get rid of this hacking cough. Much Love, Billy and Morgan

Anonymous said...

Glad ya'll are continuing to see good things! God's blessings may be small sometimes, but meaningful. Ava looks precious in the new picture. I miss her!!!
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Diane,
Ava was beautiful in the program last night. All of us at North Trenholm are praying for you and your family. We feel blessed that you are sharing Ava with us in preschool. You are right-- Ava looks like Mike in a dress.
Teresa Pruitt

Anonymous said...

Very cute!!! I'm glad to hear coach is doing a little better. Keep up the good work Mrs. Starnes, I know how coach can be. LOL. Mrs. Starnes, to give you a little brake, I would have no problem giving you a massage free of charge if you want to come by the office. You can give me call at 803-240-7363. I know its tough sitting up there all day. Take care.

Shaun P

Marty said...

Diane,
It was great talking to you yesterday! I am very happy to hear the great news of Mike's progress! Call us if you need anything!

Marty & Angie

Anonymous said...

Ava was prescious last night. I had to comment aloud about her excitement of being on the stage!I'm always afraid they'll freak out at all the people, although I've talked to them about it a lot and practiced in the worship center a lot. I also wonder how they'll react if they see their parents. She was wonderful. It touched me, as you do with every blog. I love singing with Ava. She is always smiling and excited and has a sweet spirit. I continue to pray for all of you.

Anonymous said...

I'm Ann Humphries, and my son Brad played for Coach Starnes at Ridge View. I heard about your family only yesterday. I will email Brad your blogspot. I am a prostate cancer prevention nurse at Richland. PLEASE know your entire family is in our active prayers. Ann PS What a darling picture. That must have been hilarious having her wave her hands on stage! Ah, children....

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful picture of you and your daughter. Diane I have not seen you in years but I wanted you to know that you, Mike and the girls are in my thoughts and prayers.

Rachel

Anonymous said...

how precious "little Mike" looks in her dress :)
thanks for keeping us up to date. i hope to be better next week so I can come visit for a while.
love you all,
Sara W.

Anonymous said...

Please know that I am thinking of you and Mike. I only found out today. Glad to hear that Mike is improving. Ava is beautiful. I would love to come visit...where is Mike? Talk to you soon.

Love,
Kala

Kim S in SC said...

O, please tell precious Ava hello from SVBC sunday school! She is so sweet and I know you loved that moment with her speaking to you from stage! Looking forward to your visit here at RNE tomorrow!
Praying!

hjayroe said...

Mike, you continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. My wife, Nell, is also praying for your recovery and a speedy return to normality. Thanks be to God!

Anonymous said...

Hello agian Mrs. Starnes i am so gald to hear that things are going quite well. your baby is so cute or shall i say "little mike"? like i had said before if there is anything you need help with call me at(803)786-1278. or email me at makenshi69@yahoo.com if you wanna talk. glad to hear the news and i will keep hoping things will get better have a lovely evening, and i will drop by the hospital on saturday to visit. bye for now,
Chris Lorick

Anonymous said...

I have never seen Mike except in the pictures but I must say, Ava is a Doll Baby.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Diane, I haven't seen you and Ava in so long....it's just great to see those smiles! You can brag all you want. What a precious little lady Ava is. Yes, you're right, she DOES look like Mike!
Praying for you all,
Judy Fowlkes