Sunday, February 10, 2008

He Speaks!

Last night was a great night! My parents brought the girls by to see Mike. Since children under 12 aren’t allowed in ICU, it was the first time they had seen their daddy since we went to Duke. Mike was very alert while they were here (not because they were loud—they’re usually pretty well behaved) and seemed very happy to see them. When we held the girls up to him, he was able to give both of them a kiss.

Now for even greater news…Mike said two words last night! Granted they were whispers and weak, but they were words nonetheless. I was telling him he was looking a little gruffy; although I like the gruff look, he does not, so I asked him if he wanted me to bring his razor and shaving cream to get cleaned up on Sunday. He then said “razor.” Since he was so aware of what was going on, I showed him some pictures. I showed the one of him and Ava at the fair (the same one on this blog) and asked him to blink twice if he remembered taking Ava there; he blinked twice. I showed him some other photos as well. He was looking carefully at them, but I couldn’t get him to blink his eyes indicating whether or not he remembered them. I then asked him if it was okay with him for me to go home, take a shower, and get some rest to squeeze my fingers, and he did. I asked several other questions and he would squeeze in response to those as well. As I was leaving, I told him to tell me “bye” and he did. When I arrived today, he was able to say “mornin’” when asked in response to “good morning.”

No other changes for today. They’re going to keep him on the same medications and nutrients. In addition to the radiation simulation tomorrow, he is supposed to have a swallow study done. This will check for what type of consistencies in liquids he can tolerate.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you God! You hear our prayers. We are praying for complete recovery only You can grant.

Anonymous said...

GOD bless Mike,Diane,Ava and Savannah and we will continue praying for his complete recovery.GOD is great,GOD is good and thank you Lord.
mp

Anonymous said...

Diane, I am so, so glad to hear about Mike today. It appears that a Miracle is happening. We all know that God is good and and that he does perform Miracles. I have never met you, Mike and the girls but I have heard so much about all of you from Mikes mother. I thank you for giving all of us an update on Mike's condition everyday because it does give me and everyone a chance to pray for him. I also want to thanks Mikes mother for giving me the website. If it hadn't have been for her I would not have known that Mike was sick and I would not have had the opporturnity to pray and ask other to pray for him. Again, thank you so much for keeping all of us who is conerned for Mike the chance to pray for his recovery. God bless you.

Anonymous said...

Woohoo!!!

PMiller

Anonymous said...

GOD IS GOOD!!! I knew he would work his magic and i believe he is not done. Keep it up coach, we are all with you.

Shaun P.

nanette said...

What a wonderful weekend. Not only if Mike showing signs of progress but he got to see the girls. (I know you were so glad to see them too!) I am so thankful that he is starting to talk and can recognize you. There is no explanation except that God has heard all our prayers and he is working through you and Mike. May He continue to give you strength and may He continue to show Himself through Mike. You are truly blessed.

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news! Our God is an Awesome God!! I do not know you but we have a mutual friend who told me about Mike. Diane, your strength is absolutely amazing and your blog is awesome. We will continue to pray for you all. God Bless.

Jimmy C. said...

Great news! I told you that God works weekends! We'll keep praying.

Jimmy Crosby

Anonymous said...

What great news! I've been gone all weekend and have been away from my computer...some R&R in the mountains. I've been thinking about ya'll and praying hard. I shared your story with friends while I was away and have asked them to pray as well. I'm so glad that ya'll got to spend some time with the girls. That might have been the best medicine Mike could ever get!
May God's blessings continue to flow...
Stephanie Morrow

Anonymous said...

D- I have all of you on a prayer list through my sister in her church in PA...I gave them the link to this site. We are all so in awe of how God's glory has come through to Mike! We give thanks to HIM and all HE does!
Renee Kozlowski

Unknown said...

Praise God!!! We are elated. God hears our EVERY prayer. May your faith continue to be strengthened. When things settled down, and if your husband is up to it, I'd love for he and Jay to meet. Take care, and we'll continue to pray. :)Anna

Mona Myers said...

PRAISE GOD!! HE IS AWESOME!

I WILL CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR HIS MIRACLE.

Anonymous said...

This is amazing! Only God can make this stuff happen! We are praying and our thoughts are with you both constantly.
Kathi Wagner