Friday, February 15, 2008

Friday Update

There’s not really a whole lot to write about today, but I wanted to be sure to post so none of you would get worried and think something drastic happened. Mike had his fourth radiation treatment this morning then ate a good breakfast. The physical therapists came by right after that, and he did well with his therapy. He sat on the edge of the bed for 26 minutes today; yesterday he could only sit up for 13 minutes and the day before that for only six minutes. If he keeps doubling his time like that every day, the therapists won’t be able to work with any other patients because they’ll have to spend the entire day sitting with Mike.

Mike has been pretty quiet and slept a good bit today. The radiation and chemotherapy can make patients tired, so his fatigue is probably from the treatment. The doctor said when starting radiation, patients may get worse before they get better; sometimes swelling incurs. He also said the faster growing the tumor, usually the faster it reacts to treatment. He said we probably won’t see any real noticeable results for a couple of weeks.

In case you missed the Mike’s segment on WLTX last night, I’ve created a link to it on the left hand side of the blog. I thought they did a great job with it. Little did I realize that in addition to adding ten pounds, the camera also makes one’s hair look stringy and forehead big. I never noticed before that I’d be such a great candidate for Botox. And hey, if you get bored and are tired of playing Solitaire, you can pull up the video and play “Count the Pores on Diane’s Face.”

I guess the highlight of Mike’s day today has been when his two favorite sisters-in-law came up and brought the girls for a visit. (That’s according to them, of course.) He always enjoys catching up with what’s going on in the celebrity world and what’s going on at school. It’s like he has his own National Enquirer reporters keeping him informed--after all, inquiring minds want to know!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diane and Mike,

Just wanted to let you know that Pete and I keep you in our thoughts and prayers daily. Please let me know if I can help in any way.

Sharon Guyton

Anonymous said...

keep pushin coach. lets add another 15 minutes to that time....rhino

Anonymous said...

Mike & Diane,
You do not know me but I have known your Dad and Liz for 40 yrs. He wanted me to read your blog because I could relate to what you are going thru. 5 yrs ago I went thru Chemo and radiation. After 6 mos. There were still signs of cancer so I had a bone marrow stem cell transplant. I just had a CT Scan and there are no signs of cancer. God is so good and is with you every step of the way. You have a great support system with everyone you know praying for you. Keep your chin up and never give up. God Bless you and your family.
Love Lynn Markus, Windsor, CA