Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Treatment Begins!

My apologies for the delay in a post today. There really wasn’t a whole lot of change until late this afternoon when the nurse came by and said the radiology team had come up with a plan and were ready to start Mike’s radiation. Yahoo! That was a really quick turn around on coming up with a plan. When we went down for his simulation yesterday, the nurses told me it’s pretty complicated to come up with a treatment plan. From my understanding they put the MRI and CT scans on top of each other and come up with a plan for treatment. It usually takes a while to do because they have to figure out where they are going to go in with the radiation beams so that they don’t cause any other harm such as damage to his vision. We are very fortunate that they jumped on this and got the plan together so quickly. Since the radiation started today, Mike began the chemotherapy as well. The two are started on the same day because they work better together than they do individually. The pharmacy compounded the Temodar, and Mike received it through his feeding tube. Yes, that would be the feeding tube and not the I.V. like some ridiculous people might think. Can you imagine someone even thinking such a silly thing? I haven’t received the tumor measurement from the MRI yet. They didn’t do a typical MRI yesterday; it is what is known as a “mapping” one to come up with the treatment plan. By the time we got down to radiation today, the doctor had already left, so I was unable to find out the size. Hopefully, I’ll know something tomorrow.

After we returned from the radiation treatment this afternoon, the speech therapist came for the swallow study, so it ended up being a rather productive day after all. The speech therapist had Mike try some of the yummy hospital ice, drinking water, and eating applesauce. He did well with all of those, so tomorrow he will have part two of the study where they will take him down to x-ray to watch him swallow barium. This will let the doctors know if anything is getting stuck in Mike’s esophagus or if all is going down well. I think the plan is to remove the feeding tube from his nose to do the test then if they feel like he still needs some assistance with his eating, they’ll put a peg in his stomach.

Thank you all again for your many, many prayers. Mike and I (and I am sure all of you) are well aware that the only reason Mike is still with us is because of all of your prayers. Please continue to pray. While Mike is showing improvements from day to day, we are still far from being out of the woods.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome news. Those of us that know Mike well, are not surprised that he can find a way to eat. The Rockefeller's wil be there this weekend with chicken wings in hand. God is good!

Anonymous said...

More good news. God is truly great! I heard on the radio about a family who didn't have enough money to purchase formula for their baby. When they got home, a package was left at the door. It was a sample can of formula and two $5 coupons from Infamil. God is so good. We just need to have faith and continue our prayers.
Laurie from San Antonio (Philip, just for you).

Anonymous said...

That is great news. Please tell him the Lahay's are pulling for him.

betsy lahay mabee

Anonymous said...

Diane
Mike's progress is indeed a miracle. You and the girls are so blessed to have him back aware, eating, talking and in Columbia. I know he loves seeing his family and that in itself is wonderful medicine.
I am looking forward to wearing my
"Mike bracelet." What a wonderful idea. I hope you have to make many more chains.
You are all in my prayers many times over.
Love to you all.
Susan

Anonymous said...

Diane and Mike,
Praise God for Mike's progress. We continue to hold you both up in prayer for Mike's continued improvements with each day. We think the "Mike bracelets" are a great idea and will be proud to wear them in support of two awesome people. Diane I feel like I've gotten to know you a bit better through these updates and I just want you to know that your strength and faith is inspiring. Please give Mike a hug from all the Kahns and remember we're here for you all. Peace. Sara

Kim S in SC said...

Praying with you!

Anonymous said...

Great to fianally meet you and your beautiful girls yesterday! As I told you yesterday, there are several ATO's praying for you and Mike! We will continue to pray- please let us know how we can help further. Jim Grimes

nanette said...

All of this is such good news. God is showing us through Mike just how awesome He is. There is no doubt what prayer and faith in His devine judgement can do. I am so glad Mike can see the girls now, that has to be some of the best medicine he can get along with your continued presence and support. You deserve so many kudos because without you pushing these doctors and all the extra things you do to continue to stimulate Mike, he would not be where he is today. I pray for his continued progress. I think the bracelets are a wonderful idea. I'll be sending our envelope.

Mona Myers said...

Thanks to Claire, I have Mike's Miracle Bracelet. It is a daily reminder for me to Praise God for miacles and to continue praying every day. It is also an opportunity for me to tell Mike's story, and share with others that God is Great!! I was teaching my class when Claire came by and gave it to me last night. Now there are others praying for Mike and blessing God. Thanks Diane for sharing all of this with us. You are a vessel for us to draw closer to God.