Monday, February 25, 2008

Prayers Are Working (As If We Didn't Already Know That!)

In case you’re wondering, the on-call doctor never came by Saturday night. Good thing I have that street-smart medical degree, eh? After Mike still appeared not to be improving Saturday evening, I insisted the nurse call the on-call doctor to see if his steroids needed to be increased some more. After the nurse talked with the doctor, Mike was given five more milligrams on the spot then his regular dose was increased to 20mg. When the on-call doctor did come by on Sunday for rounds, I shared my concerns that Mike has not been following textbook protocol as far as how quickly he can decline. The doctor ordered a drug called Mannitol, another agent to help with the swelling. He also ordered a CT scan and MRI to check for hemorrhaging. They don’t do MRI’s on Sundays, so that’s why he was having the CT Scan—they do do those on the weekends in the emergency room. Mike continued to give some crazy answers to questions throughout the day, but he got better as the day progressed.

This morning I talked with our regular oncologist. He is going to keep Mike on the high steroids dose until the radiation treatment is finished next month. Based on the CT scan results, Mike is NOT going to have an MRI today. The scan is compared to the last one he had here on January 9. The bleeding Mike was having in the biopsy area in January has “nearly completely resolved” and there is “no new intratumoral hemorrhage.” That is great news because Mike did have additional bleeding while we were at Duke, so there evidently is no sign of the hemorrhaging Mike was having earlier this month. (If you remember, on February 5, I was told the tumor had grown, Mike was hemorrhaging and there was nothing else the doctors could do…it would just be a matter of days.) Our doctor is going to send the report to Duke to see what they think about starting the Avastin. Also on the great news front…Mike’s February 11 MRI showed Mike’s tumor had a diameter of 5.6 centimeters. Yesterday’s scan showed the diameter at 5 centimeters. I’m no rocket scientist, but that tells me the tumor has shrunk six millimeters since Mike began radiation and chemotherapy nearly two weeks ago! Keep the prayers a goin’...5 centimeters is still bigger than the tumor was when Mike first went to the hospital in January, so we’ve still got a long way to go. I am, though, extremely encouraged by how well this current treatment is working.

14 comments:

Alecia said...

I am amazed at how God works! Keep the faith and know we're still praying! Alecia

Anonymous said...

Diane,
Philip and I just read your posting. Praise the Lord! Hang in there.

Love,
Laurie and Philip

Anonymous said...

Diane,
So glad to hear that Mike is doing better today. I'm aiming to come by on Friday morning. I'll touch base with you later this week.

Love,
Kala

Anonymous said...

Diane,
We've been keeping up with the blog news and are so relieved at the good news today. Thanks again for keeping everyone informed. We're still members of the "Pray for Mike" club and hope and pray for more improvements.

Love,
Ray and Genny

Anonymous said...

Hey Diane,
Still reading the blog and praying everyday. You know that there is a huge following online and that means an even bigger prayer chain happening all the time. God is with you both!
Kathi

Anonymous said...

That is awesome, I will continue to pray for coach, and I know GOD will continue to work his magic.

Shaun P.

Anonymous said...

Just want to let you know that Mike is in the Missionaries of St Colomban Sisters Convent prayers in the Philippines along with other churhes and convents there too.GOD is great.
Mike P

Anonymous said...

Diane,
I am finally able to read your blog because the district unblocked you guys! The power of RNE I guess! I'm so happy to read such positive news on him. We'll keep wearing our braclets and saying our daily prayers!
Nicole

Jimmy C. said...

Prayer is the best medicine there is. No matter how many advances we see in medicine, it will never be surpassed. It's neat to hear that you guys have gone global! I look forward to more good news.

jimmy

nanette said...

I think you should qualify for a PHD with all the knowledge you have gained through this ordeal. I always knew you had a sponge brain, you soak up everything. Now it is really coming in handy. Like you said if you don't jump in when you see something's not right, it sometimes takes doctors forever to get back to you. Hey you wouldn't send for them if you didn't feel the need. Prayer has brought Mike and you this far and there is no doubt that God is using you both. You stay in my prayers. I am so thankful that you are seeing a shrinkage in the tumor, I pray it will keep right on going down. All of us at AHS check the block frequently, this has been a wonderful tool to keep everyone informed. Hang in there, look at the difference a couple of weeks have made. May God continue to bless you.

Anonymous said...

im sorry to hear what happened saturday and i am glad to hear that he tumor has shrunk down a little. my thoughts continue to always be a top priority on my mind. coach starnes is strong so he will be absolutley fine i know just know it. well i will continue to read your blog as often as i can. and i hope all will be well. have a nice evening.
chris lorick.

Anonymous said...

Diane--I just recently found out about Mike through Tempe and through a prayer request my wife got at church on his behalf (she knew I knew you). I wanted you to know that Mike is in our prayers as well. But I also wanted you to know that there is other comfort to be had than the prayers of others.

I recently recovered from cancer and during the time I was preparing for the surgery, I spent a lot of time seeking God's will for me. Two Psalms, 34 and 91, stood out to me as they speak to God's infinite care for His people and I drew much comfort from them. By placing myself in God's hands, I knew He would direct the surgeon's accordingly. I had a great sense of peace going in and I suspect Mike would derive a great deal of comfort from them as well--and you would too!

I also heard that your dad has prostate cancer. Since that was my tribulation, I would be glad to help him in any way. My experience at Johns Hopkins was a blessing, really, and the type of surgery made recovery easy.

I remember when we tried to have the teachers' writing group after school that you wrote about the complications in the birth of one of your daughters. God brought you through that and He will bring you through this as well. Just rest in Him. If I can be of any service to you, please let me know.

"Taste and see that the Lord is good." Ps 34:8
Francis

Anonymous said...

Diane,

You may not remember me, but I am Beth & Doug Hollifield's mother. I have had Mike in my prayers every since he has been sick. I have told this to your mother, that if there is anything (nothing is too small or too large) I can do for you or help with your children, all you have to do is have your mother to contact me.

I hate to see you going through this, but there is a reason for everything even though we don't understand what God has in mind.

We love you all!!

Linda & Doug Hollifield

Guess Who said...

Diane,
This is Bobby Hollis, Coach Starnes Coached me in football at Ridgeview High. My brother called me and told me the news. I just wanted to take the time to let you know that my wife and I will be praying for you,Coach and your children. I remember Coach Starnes as being a stand up man and a very hard worker. He left a strong impression on my life. When I think of all my Coaches, he's at the top of the list. If anyone can get through this thing it's him. Our thoughts are prayers are with you!