Sunday, February 3, 2008

Still the Same

This is picture of Mike's tumor, so you can see just how big it is. The white stuff around the tumor is the swelling. The doctors here couldn't believe that Mike was functioning as well as he was for as long as he did. We figured it was because he is so overly orderly and anal about stuff (shocking to some of you, I know) that he was able to compensate for the difficulties the tumor was causing.

There still hasn’t been much change. Mike now has a urinary tract infection, and the doctors are giving him antibiotics for that. His blood-sugar level was a little high yesterday, so they upped the amount of insulin they were giving him; it is now back to normal. He did open his eyes to pain (the first time he has opened his eyes since Monday), but we’re not supposed to get excited about anything he does unless it is consistent. Either today or tomorrow they are going to run a test to make sure he isn’t developing any blood clots in his legs. (He is wearing venodynes to help control them.) The oncologists are most likely going to have a CT scan performed on him tomorrow to see if there have been any changes since the MRI last week.

The tumor cannot be treated until Mike is better. If they tried to give him the chemotherapy now, it would make him worse. All of the medications he is now on weaken his immune system; the oncologist yesterday said his immune system is very similar to an HIV-positive patient’s. There is available a miracle drug called Avastin that would help shrink the tumor if he were better. They have been using it in clinical trials for almost two years now. In 65% of the patients, the tumor has shrunk by half. The other 30-35% saw a shrinking of 20-25%. It does cost $35,000 for a six week dose, but if Mike could get better and sign an agreement to the trial, the medication would be provided at no cost to us. The oncologist said they have seen the Avastin begin to shrink the tumor within 24 hours, though the patient does not feel a significant change for at least a week or so.

I think I’m going to turn on the television tonight and let the Super Bowl be a little background noise. Maybe some offensive and defensive play talk will jolt him out of this. Goodness knows I can’t talk intelligently about football. I can dream this will work at least…

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diane, I am praying for a miracle and our ABF this morning did the same. I admire your strength but I'm sure you have your moments...I certainly would. Please let us know how we can help. Our God is the blessed controller of all things. Even when we think things are desparate His timing is perfect. In HIM, Judy Fowlkes

Anonymous said...

Diane,

You, Mike, and the girls are continually in our prayers. Today we are praying John 14:27 for each of you. May you experience the peace that only God can give as you walk through this darkness.

In Christ,
Daphne, Chris, Trevor, and Baylee Fulmer (Faith Presbyterian Church)

Anonymous said...

Praying for you,Mike
Help us today, God, to trust you
with our lives. Though we are
afraid and often worried about
what tomorrow will bring,
we know that you are with us.
God of compassion,
We open our hands to welcome
your healing presence.

Mike Padua

Anonymous said...

Diane,
Thanks for keeping everyone posted in Mike's condition and if there is anything I can do to help,please do not hesitate.
Take care,
Mike P.

Deb said...

Hi Sweetie, I have been keeping you and Mike and the girls in my thoughts and prayers. You still have your great sense of humor - a true gift from God! FYI - We are watching the Superbowl with you - GO NYG!!!

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. You are such a strong person - remember to lean on us (and Him) whenever you need to - we will always be there for you.

Debi

Anonymous said...

Diane, Just talked with Uncle Tiny and he told me the news of Mike. I am so sorry to hear of the news. If there is anything I can do just give us a call. I am going to call mom and dad and tell them as well. Our prayers are with you all. Thanks for keeping us posted. Tom & Martha

Unknown said...

Hang in there! God is still in the miracle business. The Avastin/CPT-11 has worked for my husband. We will continue to pray.
I just wish I could jump in the car and just come give you a hug right now. I'm sure I know exactly where to find you...I might even remember the visiting hours there in the ICU.
Continue to believe and claim the victory...even if it takes small steps. We are praying!
:)Anna Reeves
(from BMS)

Annette Walker said...

Diane,
I have been reading your words since Claire let me know what was happening with Mike. Thank you for sharing your story.
Please know that you and Mike and Ava and Savannah are in my thoughts and prayers.
I wish I were closer so that I might also do something more tangible.
Annette

Anonymous said...

Still praying everyday for you, mike and the girls. I really don't know what to say except I know you are not alone. God is with every step of the way. He is truely the controller of ALL things.

Unknown said...

Hi Diane,
We've passed each other so many times as we've put our kids in the nursery at church and I'm sorry I haven't gotten to know you better. My heart hurts for you as I think of what you must be feeling and experiencing. I am praying for you, your children and Mike. My encouragement for you is God loves you and your girls and Mike and He is with you. Lean on His everlasting arms. Don't try to be strong, let Him be strong.

Meissa Schnackenberg

Mona Myers said...

Diane,

You hold on to your dreams. The Lord is good and all things are possible in him. I know God is there with you and Mike all the time. I hope you feel his loving arms around you. We will continue to pray for all of you.
Mona