Thursday, February 7, 2008

A Day for Miracles?!

My apologies for the delay in updating the blog, but I think you’ll find this post worth the wait…

We’re home!!! Mike ended up being transported by air back to Columbia last night. Apparently, I need to lose more pounds than I thought because they said I couldn’t ride with him due to weight issues. It took a little longer to get back than they anticipated because of the weather, so he was admitted only about an hour before I got to the hospital. I ended up getting back to my house and in the bed around 3:00 this morning.
I must need to work on my writing skills more than I thought. I e-mailed my appeal to Blue Cross Blue Shield yesterday around 4:00; the lady called me back and said they don’t make the rules, they just follow them and since it was not medically necessary for Mike to be transported to Columbia, they would not pay for it. My verbal skills must be a little better than my writing (either that or she thought I was completely unstable when talking with her on the phone) because I got a little not-so-nice with the lady and told her that it was necessary and that it wasn’t right on any level to allow me to watch my husband die alone 250 miles away from home when I have two small children that I haven’t seen in ten days. She told me there was another level of appeal and that she would e-mail me the information for that. Well…today I received a voicemail message from that same lady and she said that Blue Cross Blue Shield has decided to pay for the transport. Maybe there is a heart buried within the insurance company somewhere after all.

I realize I’m not supposed to get all excited about this, but it’s very difficult not to. Yesterday around 4:30, Mike started opening his eyes. It was the first time he had opened his eyes since he was admitted to the ICU. I went over to him, and he very clearly knew who I was. He was looking at me instead of “through” me like he would when I would open his eyelids. He could squeeze my hand and move his feet on command. I thought maybe it was a fluke, but he continued to do this (though not always squeezing on command) until they whisked him off to be returned home. I was basically told not to think that this was some sort of sudden healing—the tumor has probably just shifted and relieved pressure from the area of the brain that was controlling those behaviors. But…Mike has been doing the same thing today!!! In fact, when I came in to see him, he had been extubated. In other words, he has been taken off of the ventilator and no longer has a tube down his throat helping him breathe. He does have oxygen hooked up to him, but that just goes through his nose. They are now working on Mike’s nutrition, so he’s not so weak. I talked with the doctor today, and he said if Mike continues to get better, they can start to treat the tumor. If he’s better, they can at least start with the radiation and chemotherapy. The Avastin I wrote about in earlier post is not completely out of the question either, although it may be a bit risky. (Avastin is the drug that has shrunk brain tumors by half in 65% of the patients who have taken it.) We’re going to have to monitor his progress and weigh the risks with taking it. Keep praying!!! Given the condition Mike has been in the last ten days, I think it’s nothing short of a miracle that he is responding like he is now, even if the ICU staff at Duke thinks it’s probably just a shift in the tumor. We serve a God who is greater than any tumor and can make anything happen.

20 comments:

Kim S in SC said...

Diane: God is good! Always! Thank you for sharing this wonderful news. Staying on my knees for all of you!!

Anonymous said...

Praise God from whom all blessings flow!!! I have been praying for all of you - and am so blessed to be a witness to His power in your story. I have in times past made Him much smaller than He is - but this is such a reminder that He is not only bigger than this tumor - but bigger than even the biggest most dire circumstance or obsticle we can imagine. I will be praising Him and praying for healing - more fervently than ever!

In Christ

Mona Myers said...

DIANE,
Just wanted you to know that I have been praying for you all from the beginning. We've even prayed together right here in the Guidance Office. I know about some of what you are going through because of my daughter's illnes. One thing I know for sure is that GOD is in control, nothing happens unless he allows!!! He loves for us to talk to him through prayer. I will continue to pray for you, Mike and your entire family. I'm so happy to read that he is better today. Glenda Kennedy

Anonymous said...

Diane, Your last sentence said it all; We serve a God who is greater than any tumor and can make anything happen. God be with you, Ava, Savannah, Mikes family and your family. There are a lot of prayers going out for all of you.
I am so glad that you and Mike are back home again and thank you so much for sharing this experience with everyone. God bless you.

Glennette said...

"If you are having trouble, you should pray. And if you are feeling good, you should sing praises. If you are sick, ask the church leaders to come and pray for you. Ask them to put olive oil on you in the name of the Lord. If you have faith when you pray for sick people, they will get well. The Lord will heal them....
James 5:13-15 CEV (Contemporary English Version)

Karen K. Hall said...

Diane- With tears rollings down my face, I am rejoicing in this wonderful news!!! Mike is proof that miracles do happen-

God will never give us more than we can handle!!!!He has heard all of our prayers on your behalf!!!

What a God we serve!!!

Blessings, Karen K. Hall

Becky said...

You don't know me, but I learned of your husband's situation just a little while ago, and I wanted to let you know that you can add a large Sunday School full of prayer warriors to the certainly already long list of people praying for your family. God is Good, All The Time, as the song says! He STILL does miracles, even today, so you go on and get excited! Rejoice in this time with him and look forward more! I'm praying for you and Mike and the kiddos, and everyone else who has been touched by this situation. I look forward to more good news in the very near future!

Blessings,
Becky Sparrow
San Antonio

Anonymous said...

Praise God! It's so great to hear good news! I think you have every right to be excited about Mike responding to you. What a great feeling it must have been to know that your husband was looking at you and knew who you were. I have tears rolling down my face. Duke may call it a shift, I call it God working miracles. I pray that God's healing hands will continue to work on that tumor! What a mighty God we serve! I put ya'll on the prayer list at my church. I'm also glad you knocked some sense into BCBS!!! So many things to be thankful for!
I pray that God continues to shower you with His blessings!
Stephanie Morrow

Anonymous said...

Diane,
I am glad to see some improvment on Mike and hope this continue even for a little bit at a time.We will keep on praying for him.God is Good May God be with all of you always.
In Christ name,
Mike Padua

Anonymous said...

Diane,

Prayers do work!!!! We are firm believers in that. Just today at lunch; my Mom and I were praying to God and "talking" to Mike.
This will continue to happen everyday in our family.

Anonymous said...

Diane,Thankyou for sharing such Wonderful news! We will continue to pray diligently and faithfully. Through Him all things are possible! We are glad you are home, surrounded by people that love and care about you both. We'll be in touch. Love, The Kahn Family

Anonymous said...

I do believe in miracles and I hope this one comes true. Love to your family

Anonymous said...

Diane, Chuck and I are both so happy to hear that Mike is responding and off the ventilator. We are praying for you all and thank you so much for keeping everyone informed I know it can not be easy. Please take a few moments for yourself each day as this will help. We love you all. Chuck and Ruth Cross

Anonymous said...

Diane,
What wonderful news! God is certainly good and has proven that miracles can and do happen! We are so thankful that Mike is back in Columbia and is making some progress. Praise God for His wonderful blessings! Thank goodness that someone at BCBS made the right decision! We will continue to pray for all of you! Please let us know if there is anything you need!
Lots of Love,
Henry and Patsy

Anonymous said...

Wow what an awesome GOD!!!!!!!
I will praise GOD and continue praying for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

God is so good!

Kathi

Anonymous said...

Diane, You are wonderful for keeping all of us updated. We are still praying for you, Mike and the girls.

betsy lahay mabee

nanette said...

Miracles do happen. God is showing us all that he is in control. Thank you for keeping us updated. I know it's hard to write these entries but not nearly as difficult as living this scenario from day to day with all the uncertainty. I am so glad you got him home and he recognized you. That is truly a gift sent from God. You, Mike and the girls stay in my prayers constantly. Mike is so lucky that you have such a strong will, and the strength to fight these battles for he and your family. I'm praying that we see more miracles in the upcoming days. nanette

Anonymous said...

Diane: how wonderful this news is. Mike is Blessed to have such a wonderful wife as you fighting for him.
God is great

Jamie Spires said...

Diane,

We do serve an awesome God don't we? He is still in the business of healing today and there is no sickness He can't handle.

There are a lot of people praying for you, Mike and the girls and the bible promises where 2 or more gather together in His name He will be there with them. (Matthew 18:19-20). We will all continue to pray for you and Mike knowing that as Psalm 103:2-3 states, God can heal all diseases.

I am rejoicing that the Lord allowed you such a gift of having Mike open his eyes and know you. I know he will continue to show Himself in very real ways to you both. I am still praying for more miracles!

Love,
jamie