Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Wednesday Checklist

Radiation? Check.
Mike had his second radiation treatment this morning. They came by and got him around 8:15, and he was back in the room around 9:00. Since he is an inpatient, there’s not a set time for him to get radiation each day. They just work him in around scheduled appointments. He will get 30 treatments of the radiation—these are only done on weekdays.

MRI Results? Check.
I couldn’t get a whole lot of concrete results on the MRI because the one he had done on Monday was not a typical one. The radiation doctor only gave me one dimension on the tumor—5.6 centimeters. That is one millimeter larger than the last MRI at Duke. The doctor said the tumor is an odd shape, so he didn’t give me any other dimensions. There is still some hemorrhaging, but I’m not sure how much. He also said that some people take really well to the radiation/chemotherapy combination and some people don’t see much of a result. We all know that Mike is a bit of an anomaly, so please pray that this treatment will work well for him.

Swallow Study? Check.
Mike’s feeding tube was removed, and he had the swallow study. He did pretty well; nothing entered his airway, so that was good. He did better with thicker consistencies than thinner ones. The thinner ones didn’t go all the way down as well, so there is a little risk of it going into his airway which can cause him to aspirate. That would not be a good thing. So, any liquids Mike drinks have to be mixed with some stuff (the medical term) to thicken it. He does NOT have to have a peg put into his stomach right now. As long as the doctors feel like he’s eating well and his nutrition is good, he will not have to do that. I just ordered his lunch, and he will be having roast, mashed potatoes, green beans, pasta salad, and pudding. He was really hoping for that double order of broccoli (seriously, he does like it—go figure), but he’s not allowed to have that.

Clean Shave? No check. Personality Returning? Check.
I attempted to shave Mike again today per his request, but apparently it’s a little painful to be shaved when there’s quite a bit a growth. It was hurting him so badly that he said he was going to slap me, so obviously his personality is coming though. (To those of you who do not know us very well: Mike was just talking smack and would never really hit me. He knows he would be a single man and sitting in the hospital room all by himself if the thought ever even crossed his mind.) Being the ever-thoughtful wife that I am, I went to the store and bought an electric razor for him. Jeez Louise…I did not realize those things were so expensive! The razor is charging now and hopefully by the end of the day, his face will be as smooth as a baby’s bottom.

Chemotherapy? No check. Yet.
Mike will get his Temodar every day at the same time, so he won’t get it until 5:00 this afternoon.

That’s about all for today. Every now and then Mike will talk louder than a whisper. One of his former football players (who affectionately refers to Mike as his “white daddy”) called. I held the phone to Mike’s ear, so he could hear him, and Mike was able to say his name. That was pretty cool.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did say that you liked the rough look. :-) Thank goodness you didn't buy him some tweezers. I am so happy to read the progress Mike has made. Continuing my prayers for the whole family. Laurie (San Antonio)

Anonymous said...

Continue to tell him that the Lahays are all concerned and still praying for you, the girls and Mike.

betsy lahay mabee

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to read about the progress and how well he is doing. I will continue to pray for all of you guys.

Michelle Cullum (Harmon)

Anonymous said...

I read your blog every day and pray for all of you each time I talk to God. Your strength and humor have amazed me. My church, family and friends are also praying and reading your notes. Not only are we lifting Mike and you and the girls up, but we are being touched and changed by how you are coping. it is obvious that you love and trust God.for the record, this is Pam (Bryan) Barker, Ava's music teacher, and I've known your family since you were born...yes, I'm a good bit older than you! Your sweet Mom has been keeping me up to date. I love Ava. She is so precious and the best dressed preschooler I know!Continuing to pray, Pam Barker

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping the blog, Diane. So glad to learn of Mike's progress and "hear" (it's not just your ability to distinguish between "several" and "few" that proves you to be a good writer) how you're doing. We will keep praying for all of you. -Kedrick, Crista, Tyler, & Chris

Anonymous said...

I knew he would finally come around and have his personality back. I can't believe how great he is doing!!!! I am so happy for you guys and I wll continue to pray every waking minute for you all.

Love you guys,
Britteny Cavins