Friday, February 22, 2008

Still Doing Pretty Well

After what I did for Mike yesterday, I think I’m going to have to officially toss my name in the hat for the Wife of the Year award. I flossed his teeth. I now have a new-found respect for dental hygienists. I guess flossing sets the stage for an overall good day because Mike had a pretty good one yesterday. Mike’s head control is getting better, though it’s far from being perfect. For the past couple of days I’ve been making him turn his head to reach the food as I’m feeding him. So, if he wants to chow down, he has to turn his head towards me, and y’all all know he’s not going to say the heck with eating! It apparently is helping because the physical therapist commented on how much better his head is moving. Please pray for Mike to continue to get better with his body movements. With as much assistance as he has to have now, I don’t see how he’ll be getting around on his own anytime in the near future. I know he’d feel a whole lot better if he could move around and stretch more. He did sit upright in his bed yesterday from about 2:30 until 9:00; he was awake the entire time. (By upright I mean the bed was set at a 90 degree angle.) His voice comes and goes, but when he’s awake, he knows what is being said. The doctor went ahead and lowered his dose of steroids to 10mg four times a day since he seems not to be having any swelling.

Mike didn’t go to his radiation treatment today as early as he usually does, so that threw off our schedule for the day. I had a great system going with Mike’s meals, and it all went awry. The radiation folks came by to pick him up at the usual time, but the doctor had not seen Mike yet, so they didn’t want to take him. I figured they would swing back by within a half-hour, but it was almost two hours before they returned. That’s not a huge deal, but it makes it a little difficult to order meals when I don’t know when he’s going to be out of the room. I don’t want to order something then have it get cold. Who wants icy grits and eggs? Eating a late breakfast then makes it difficult to coordinate lunch and dinner times around his chemotherapy. Mike cannot eat an hour before or two hours after his Temodar. That wouldn’t be a big deal if the hospital cafeteria operated like a cruise line and offered meals around the clock. But the chefs around here like to go home, so they close at 7:00—there is no 24 hour pizza bar. The late radiation treatment also caused Mike to miss out on physical therapy today. They came by at the normal time, but he was still downstairs for his radiation treatment. When the therapists returned later in the day, Mike had just started resting well; he felt bad earlier and was given some morphine.

I would like to give a shout out to the Richland Northeast Cavaliers. They had a dessert fundraiser today to help with our expenses and invited me and the girls to attend. Ava, Savannah, and I were delighted to go. I have never seen so many yummy desserts all in one place!!! (To you schools who need a fundraising event, this is a great idea—you just have folks pay five dollars and bring a dessert…then you can eat as much of the other desserts as you want.) It was great to visit my alma mater and see some of my old, I mean former, teachers. (And for you folks who don’t know me and Mike very well—Mike did not work at Northeast when I went to school there, so he wasn’t hitting on me when I was a young, impressionable teen.) Before I left, I was able to smuggle a sampler plate of the softer desserts for Mike. I gave them to him this afternoon when I returned to the hospital, and he loved them. I can't imagine why he would be so happy to have something other than hospital food. Mike and I are so fortunate that he works with such wonderful people. Thanks Cavs for all you have done for us!

Mike was pretty quiet this morning and when I returned to the hospital this afternoon. Hmmmm…I wonder if I need to floss his teeth again. Maybe it wouldn’t be as scary if I’d just do it every day.

And of course I would be remiss if I didn’t thank the rest of you as well for all you have been doing. Some of you may not think you’ve done anything, but if you’ve said a prayer, you’ve done plenty. I think we all realize the only reason Mike is doing so well is because God is hearing our prayers. Please continue to pray that the radiation and chemotherapy treatment will work well for Mike and for his physical therapy rehabilitation. One other prayer request—our girls have been a little sick, so they haven’t been to the hospital since early this week. I know Mike would like to see them, but with his immune system being lowered, we can’t risk them being up here unless they are well. Ava is a complete wild child when she’s on cold medicine, so that has to be used sparingly! Please pray for a speedy recovery for the girls, so they can see their daddy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diane,
Thank you for the update. And yes, I will continue to pray for your entire family. Praying for Mike's coninued improvements and complete recovery, for Ava and Savannah to rid their colds so they can visit daddy, and for your continued strength, wisdom, courage, and love.

Laurie (San Antonio)
P.S. I love my bracelet.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. I am sorry I missed you at RNH yesterday, but I have been out all week and certainly didn't want to get anyone sick. I did send something, easy recipe, Go to the bakery section of Publix. Hey, can't go wrong that way.
I will hopefully see y'all soon. Give my love to Mike.
Love,
Sara W.

Anonymous said...

I want to wish you a very Happy Birthday. I remember when you interviewed with Cheryl Washington and me for the job at Dent about 12years ago and you ended up at Ridgeview. I remember how disappointed we were that you were not going to work with us. It took me many years to finally get you over to RNHS because I always knew you were truly a coach that every youngman should have the oportunity to play for. You are a great member the RNHS athletics Family and a driving force behind our success.I have valued our friendship greatly and I lately have missed our afternoon talks about family and athletics. You and I sometimes were the only fools that spent this much time at school.

Mike on this your birthday, I wish you the Happiest Birthday and just want you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers everyday. You are Loved and missed by your entire Cavalier Family as we pray for you daily.
Ralph