Monday, February 18, 2008

Mellow Monday

Nothing too revolutionary has happened over the last couple of days. Yesterday was a great day for Mike as far as talking goes. He had a voice the entire day, and just about everything he said could be understood. He was awake for most of the day as well. I think the best part of Mike’s Sunday may have been when his friend Fran brought him some cut-it-with-a-spoon cooked broccoli. Mike has been missing his double orders of the green stuff. We’re not allowed to order it off the hospital menu because sometimes it’s a little too hard, but the speech therapist said some could be brought in if it was soft. Mike was most pleased that there were leftovers, so he had some for lunch today as well. If he behaves, I may heat up some more for dinner.

Mike had his radiation this morning and did fine with it. The radiation oncologist saw him for the first time today since early last week and seemed pleasantly surprised that Mike is doing so well. I guess he wasn’t expecting Mike to know where he was or what year it is. I asked when the next MRI will be done and found out that won’t happen until after this treatment cycle. Mike’s last radiation treatment will be the day after Easter. The physical therapists came by today, and Mike sat up for 30 minutes. He didn’t keep up the trend of doubling his time, but since he didn’t have physical therapy over the weekend, I suppose I’ll cut him a little slack. Hmmm…I wonder if he was so generous on cutting that kind of slack with his former ball players? Mike has been quieter today and seems to be resting more than he did over the weekend. I’m figuring the radiation is causing him to be so tired…you know me and all of my medical expertise.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike and Diane,
Every day I check your blog and every day I become so excited about the wonderful progress being made by Mike! Talking, eating, sitting up, joking....wow! God IS Good! Thoughts and prayers continue for you and yours.
M.Roberts

Anonymous said...

mike
keep up the good work.i hope to see you soon.i am so glad you are doing so good. my dad reads this to me everynight, my thoughts and prayers are with you.
angie stokes

Anonymous said...

My senoir year of high school at our football banquet Coach Starnes was giving me an award and one thing he said that i will never forget was, "he wanted to know where i would be in 10 years?" He said he knew that I would be doing well for my self. That 10 years is here, I do beleave its 10 years this month. Well coach as you know b/c of you i was able to go on to college and play football and get my degree, and i give you all the credit for that. Now, I own my own massage therapy business and working with the USC football and track/field team. You have always been there for me any time i needed talk, or any time needed help. You've been a very important part of my life from the day I met you. Thank you for everything. I want you to know that i will always be there for you and your family. God has put you in my life for a reason and i thank him for that. I will continue to pray for you and your family. God is good and i know he would continue to work his magic. I love you coach.

Shaun P.

Anonymous said...

Mike
Know that Shawn and I pray for you each and every day. We talk some of our old gamecock moments and know that you were the head of the original group of us that kept the sidelines free of intruders....:-o)Take care my friend and know that we are cheering for you.

Greg & Shawn

Anonymous said...

I just want you to know that Mike and the family are on the prayer list in Chris Freeman's sunday school class at North Trenholm - as I explained to the class on Sunday - Mike's progress is a "God Thing" - Our prayers are with Mike and the family - denise Owens

Anonymous said...

Good Morning my brother Mike and Ms. Diane,
Just wanted to say Thank You again Diane for being there for my brother Mike. You have such strength and courage as I've said before.
Thank you for letting me talk to the "Coach" on Saturday, it really made my day and lifted my spirits.
I continue to awake in the middle of the night to say a prayer for all of you in the Starnes family.
Much love to you all, see you in a few weeks......
Gott segne dich/euch! (german for God Bless You)
And tell Mike......AT EASE SOLIDER! Love, Billy and Morgan Kirby

Anonymous said...

I keep up with your blog and want to thank you for keeping us posted. I got my bracelet last Friday...yeah! I am under the weather so I won't be coming by this week, but hoepfully, next.
Love,
Sara W.

Anonymous said...

Diane, thanks again for your updates and we all are still praying for you and Mike.

betsy lahay mabee

Anonymous said...

Dear Ava,
Thank you so much for the card with your beautiful art work. You made my day.

Keeping your daddy, mommy, Savannah, and of course beautiful Ava in my prayers, always.

Laurie (San Antonio)

Anonymous said...

Diane and Mike,
As I was reading last night I came across this passage:

A Friend is always loyal,and a brother is born to help in time of need.
Proverbs 17:17

Love
Jennifer Rockefeller