Wednesday, February 6, 2008

It Figures...

Due to the weather, they won’t fly a plane out tonight. They will, however, go ahead and give us ground transportation, so Mike will travel to Columbia by ambulance tonight. They won’t be able to leave until 8:30, so it will probably be around 1:00 in the morning before he gets there. If we wanted to wait to go by plane, we would have to wait until tomorrow evening for another flight. Waiting until tomorrow night to leave just to go by plane didn’t make much sense to me.

I called Blue Cross Blue Shield’s president to try and explain the absurdity of them not being willing to cover the cost of transporting Mike back home. I was only able to talk with his secretary, but she had someone else call me back shortly thereafter. He said according to their records, the claim has only been denied once and I could appeal it. I’ve already written the letter of appeal and e-mailed it to them. They have received it, and they are going to try to get back with me by tomorrow on this issue. I guess we’ll see if my writing serves me well or if I need to go and take some remediation courses.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Diane,
Heard from Billy Kirby yesterday about the update on Mike. My husband & I thought we would toss these ideas to you on getting something done from BCBS. It's election year; maybe contacting your local representative would help get this expidited as well as the SC insurance commisioner. Also, is Hospice an option to help with transport? I wasn't sure, but thought I'd toss it to ya. God bless you for your strength & I will continue to ask for the holy spirt to keep you going strong for yourself as well as your girls.
Shannon Jernigan Moss
Thornwell "sister"

Unknown said...

I am sorry you are having to deal with issues such as insurance denials, etc. It seems so unfair that it's "just business" to them. They seem to lose sight of the fact that he's your husband, a father, a son, etc. The humanity just isn't there. I will pray for your patience, wisdom, and stamina. You are doing so well juggling all that has been thrown your way. I hope you will be able to rest once you get home. Take care of yourself, too. I'm still praying...

Anonymous said...

Diane
I hope both you and Mike made it safely back home. Please remember to take care of yourself-you have been through so much and you will need continued strength to sustain you in the upcoming days. Take care and tell Mike that his "Cavalier" family think about him constantly. You and your family are in our prayers.
Sharon Owens

Anonymous said...

Diane, don't take no for an answer from BCBS. Having dealt with insurance issues myself, I know that the insurance company will pay only what they have to. They will pay whatever someone is willing to accept. If you accept denial of the claim, their job is done. Make those phone calls, every day if you have to. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Barbara

Anonymous said...

I know things will work out for you. BCBS obviously doesn't know who they are messing with!! haa haa. I think about you guys every second and continue to pray..I know there is a miracle out there for you. They happen everyday. Give Coach a hug for me.

Love You Guys,
Britteny Cavins

Anonymous said...

Dianne, I spoke with ex state rep. Marion Carnell. I told him the problem with BC/BS. He has alot of pull with the good ole boy network . He said he would get right on it this AM, and let me know something ASAP. In the past he has been helpful with many things. You all are in my prayers. If there is anything Billy or I can do, do not hesitate, I know Mike would do everything possible, under the sun for you and the girls. With all the friends that you and he has we can do anything!!! Prissy