Saturday, February 23, 2008

Saturday Swelling

It appears that Mike’s brain has started swelling again. I suspected it was last night when he wouldn’t respond to simple questions that just required him to make a choice. (i.e. “Do you want to eat the pudding or not?”) The nurse assured me it was just because he had a double dose of morphine that day, so he was exceptionally tired.

When I came in this morning, he was talking pretty well; he was given some morphine around 11:30 and fell asleep shortly thereafter. I woke him up at 2:20 to eat lunch and could tell he was not right. Both of his eyes were not focused straight ahead, and he couldn’t answer some simple questions. He knew what year it was and my name, but he answered “2008” for a few other questions as well; this is something he did before when he was having some swelling occur. (Your vocabulary lesson for the day…that is called perseverating—repeating the same thing over and over.) I called the front desk and asked for a nurse to come to the room. After more questions and incorrect answers (Did you know we have 10 children?), I called the front desk again and told them to go ahead to page the doctor because I knew we would need some more steroids. After 19 minutes passed and no drugs had been administered, I was giving them two more minutes until I was going to have to get a little ugly. And you wouldn’t like me when I’m angry. (Can you name that television show?!?) Luckily, the nurse came by and said the doctor on call (not our regular oncologist) was on his way to the hospital and was going to come to our room first when he arrived. I really didn’t want to get nasty, but after seeing how rapidly Mike declined when we were at Duke that first day, I decided I would never let trying to be nice win out over what I think was needed medically. A short while later, the nurse came in to give Mike 4mg of steroids and said the on-call doctor ordered for him to go back to the increased dosage he was on earlier, though she’s not sure if that’s 15mg or 20mg.

Mike was able to sit up and talk after he ate lunch. There were some visitors in the room and he would make comments every now and then. After all the visitors left, I began to do another neuro check on Mike. (I do think I have this medical skill down pat!) He was still giving crazy answers to questions, but his responses were providing a little comic relief. I asked him his profession, and he told me he was a scavenger. When I asked what he scavenged, he said, "Women." Did you know that the state pays for such things? Mike is now sleeping, and I am still—nearly three hours later—waiting for the on-call doctor to stop by the room to talk with him about everything. I guess maybe he went to the beach for the day so that’s the cause for the delay in his arrival? I’ll let you know if anything else major happens.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diane,
Just know prayers continue for all of you and the medical staff treating Mike. I so admire you for the courage and strength you give to others. If I can do anything for you, please let me do so.

love and prayers,
Martha Roberts

Anonymous said...

Diane,
Mike does have three beautiful women in his life. :-) Thank you for the update. Praying that the swelling goes down and healing resumes.

Love,
Laurie (San Antonio)

Anonymous said...

Diane,

I was just heartbroken to hear about Mike. My parents told me after hearing about it through Spring Valley Baptist then Jamie e-mailed me with this site. I'll keep posted through this blog, and certainly keep you in my prayers. By the way, what a beautiful family!!

Love,
Sharon Love
hayleez@msn.com

Jim Seay said...

Diane,

You might know that I work with Mike and RNE as a public address announcer for ballgames. I've always been highly impressed with him beginning with his days as an assistant with the football team.

I've not written anything in the NE News about his situation because it was suggested from Tim Hunter, and others, that you would prefer that it not be publicized.

But, I want to help by doing what might be helpful by including more information in my sports column to assist you, Mike and the girls.

After seeing an update in The State this past Thursday, I would like to further let folks know more about Mike's situation and any other ways others of us can help.

Either send me a message via e-mail or call me. Burns Harris, Jay Frye and others have my phone number.

Can Mike have visitors other than family? If so, I would like to see him.

God bless you all and I join with all the others in praying for him.

Thanks,
Jim Seay

Anonymous said...

Diane,

It was so nice to finally meet you yesterday (aweful situation to meet). Mom and I really enjoyed seeing Coach Starnes and giving him a little "pep talk" (from the look in his eyes, I believe he heard us and was telling us YES!!!)
Thank you so much for the braclets. We will be praying for Coach Starnes, you and the girls daily. I hope the girls are feeling better.

Always Praying
Nell & Debbie
(Mother & Daughter Duo)

Anonymous said...

Hey Diane,
Thanks for updating me via telephone on Saturday. It is so hard to keep up with everything on my orphan brother, the "Coach".

I continue with my 3am ritual ... as I have commented to you before. But something must of told me to pray harder, for on Sunday morning I was awoken 3 different times to pray for you all. It just psychs me out that we are called to help our friends and neighbors in such a way. The power of faith is what COACH and family needs and we are told to pray for all our needs and concerns ..... so I am here with you 'Starnes Family'.

I will be by next week as long as I've shed this cold and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for being there , not only for Mike and the kids, but being there for us all in keeping us all posted on MIke's medical problems and needs.

Much Love to the Starnes',
Billy and Morgan Kirby

Marty said...

Hey Diane,
I hope things are well and I near fell out of my chair laughing when I read the part on Mike's answer to his profession! Glad to see your humor keeping up and tell Mike we miss him!

Love,
Marty & Angie